Need advice Stihl 020 bar and chain

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My next door neighbor has been keeping me in firewood while I was out of commission with all the surgery this year. He lost his right arm at the shoulder from a felling incident and uses a Stihl 020 top handle for all of his cutting. I want to get him a new bar and chain as he adapted a solid bar from another Stihl to the 020 and uses a shortened chain to get it to work.

What would be a great bar and chain for such a saw? I'd like to get him something lighter than the solid steel bar that he is presently using.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My next door neighbor has been keeping me in firewood while I was out of commission with all the surgery this year. He lost his right arm at the shoulder from a felling incident and uses a Stihl 020 top handle for all of his cutting. I want to get him a new bar and chain as he adapted a solid bar from another Stihl to the 020 and uses a shortened chain to get it to work.

What would be a great bar and chain for such a saw? I'd like to get him something lighter than the solid steel bar that he is presently using.
Take a look at these Terry.
I like this bar ...its a good quality light bar at a good price ( i favour 14" MAX). The stihl chain in the pic has some kick back protection that is real good on a Top handle ...even more so if you use it single handed .

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 09.37.09.png Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 09.39.07.png

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies guys. I like the Sugi, is it a laminated bar?

The bloke isn't a chainsaw enthusiast, so he wouldn't know a Sugi from an Oregon bar. He would notice which bar was lighter.

I don't mind spending an extra $30 on the gift, but it really comes down to what he would like.

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the laminated sugi.
I have not seen one weighed - it's listed as 505gm, the stihl light would be about 400gm.
I've seen other laminated bars in this length in the 550gm range.

Last edited:

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Terry try left coast supply. They usually have great deals on the gb bars. Shipping from California might be pricey but the bars are normally real inexpensive

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the laminated sugi.
I have not seen one weighed - it's listed as 505gm, the stihl light would be about 400gm.

If the Stihl light is the lightest of the bunch, then I'll have to go with that. Fork me, I sure don't want to buy a Stihl bar from an Australian Stihl dealer. You can feel the money being sucked out of your wallet as you walk through the door.

I'm interested in the Stihl PS chain. I checked out his saw and he does run Stihl chain.

I'll see what I can find for a 14" Stihl light bar and find out the drive link numbers. Maybe there is another source for Stihl bars in Oz.

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do remember that there's an 020T (which looks like an MS200), and there's the older 020av. The old ones came with 1/4" chain, which can be a pain to find (round here anyway). There was a very popular replacement drum/sprocket kit that converted them to picco.

These things would matter if you're buying a chain and/or a roller nose bar.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
2:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Is it the older metal 020? If so then maybe there's enough 020t or 200t parts kicking around the forums to build this guy a lighter saw to go with the lighter bar? I can't think of anyone at the moment who needs it more than a one armed cutter.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I think it is the older 020AV.

Oh Boy, looks like I've opened a can of worms now. So, you guys think his saw could be upgraded to be even lighter? If so, what are we talking about? He loves to tinker, so I could just get him the parts and he would be in his element.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you need a 1/4" bar and chain, I'm your Huckleberry. I have a whole box of 1/4" bars and two full rolls of 1/4" chain. I don't have any sprockets through and that's the weak link.

Another thing you could do Terry is find an economical newer project saw like a 192T. I see those parts saws a lot for fairly cheap.

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you want light
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182630398422
Hell, its almost a sensible 2 saw plan with one of these and the 020

But like others have said a 192t with a muff mod and timing bump would probably be about ideal.
There are some reasonable echo/Shindawa options, the husky t435 is kinda ok.
After that it's pro saws, which is pretty much stihl or stihl.
I'd rebuild a 200t, but the rest are just about disposable. I have a stuffed t435 here and it's really not worth repairing.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I like the Sugi, is it a laminated bar?

The bloke isn't a chainsaw enthusiast, so he wouldn't know a Sugi from an Oregon bar. He would notice which bar was lighter.

I don't mind spending an extra $30 on the gift, but it really comes down to what he would like.
Yes its a "light" laminated bar and made from high grade steel....Lasts well.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If the Stihl light is the lightest of the bunch, then I'll have to go with that. Fork me, I sure don't want to buy a Stihl bar from an Australian Stihl dealer. You can feel the money being sucked out of your wallet as you walk through the door.

I'm interested in the Stihl PS chain. I checked out his saw and he does run Stihl chain.

I'll see what I can find for a 14" Stihl light bar and find out the drive link numbers. Maybe there is another source for Stihl bars in Oz.
I have a 14 " sugi coming this week to change a Ps 420 Dolmar over to 3/8 lp so i can put it on the scales if it helps. Will be a little more than the stihl due to the mount and nose . There about 500 gr --1 lb ish i think but will check with the chain to.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you want a 14" Stihl Light bar in 3/8 050 picco 50DL p/n: 3005 000 7409? Would he cop a used but good condition one? Or a new one in the standard non light version? Something like this?1503388829976.jpg

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to have to sneak over there and pull it out of the back of his truck. If you don't hear from me again, figure the worse...

EDIT: When I was casually looking at the bar, he had sanded all of the paint off the bar he adapted to the saw and there was no stamps about the chain (drive links, 1/4, 3/8) the bugger is making this surprise harder than it should be. Maybe I should just buy him a piston and rings and re-build kit for the carb.

Na, a light, fast cutting bar and chain would really make his day. I can get him the piston and rings for next year.

I'll check with his wife and see if I can get access to the saw.

Last edited:

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
5:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpg Lightest bar I have ever seen. Sorry it is not here right now, or I would weigh it for you. PS is fantastic although PS3 may be better for one handed cutting.