High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Need a 21" push mower stat. Toro vs Honda vs ?

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you go with a rear bag Snapper, as has been mentioned, you'd better cut dry grass as that chute tube plugs up quickly when wet. Also make sure whatever mower you look at, to check handle height. The Snapper hurt my back as it was just way too low. Another area to look is how easy will it be to dump the bag, and get it on and off the mower, which means is the design user friendly.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
No, no bagging. Mulch or side discharge for me. That would be Snapper's Ninja model.
And that is a good suggestion to check handle height. My current push mower is just a tad to short.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Heavy is a strike against it but it has to have enough power to cut the grass.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am off this weekend and plan to go by some dealers. Toro, Honda and Snapper are all I have on the list. Any other suggestions?

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the Toro's come with a Kawasaki engine that has an oil pump, that is a good engine. My John Deere has that, and it's been good. Look for an aluminum deck and steel roller bearing wheels if possible.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I didn't even know you could get a pushmower with an oil pump. Can they be used on a steep inline? I have this bank that I have been mowing with my cheap splash lubed mower. It is quite steep. I am sure it is beyond the tilt allowance of the splash lubed engine. I think the max angle is like 20 degrees.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
5:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The oil-pump engines will work better in this environment than the splash by a long shot. 2-stroke would be better, but then you're relegated to used. If you look a the Snapper, DON'T look at the Briggs... It's severely underpowered. Look for the Kawasaki or Honda powered ones. Not all, but most snappers have adjustable handles, but you have to unbolt the handle bars and index t the correct holes and most come setup for midgets... They're durable mowers that run forever, but re bagging and side discharge. For mulching, the Honda or Toro's run better in fleshy, dense grass before tracking badly at least in my experience w/Kansas weeds and Bermuda... YMMV

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning on the Snapper. I was wondering about the Briggs engine on it. People wonder that I don't just go out and buy the first mower I come across. Research! It saves headaches. The only current Snapper model that is Honda powered is their top of the line bagginhg, I think. More than I want to pay.

Speaking of headaches, has anybody else noticed Briggs new engine that never needs the oil changed? Just check and add? I thought that was a feature of an old, leaky engine!

I agree a two stroke is the way to go but I am the only one who will bother to make it run right. As I said in another thread, I have possibly well founded fears of two stroke being straight gassed By a family member.

The main complaint with our current mower is it is underpowered for anykind of semi tall grass. I am not talking about 6 inches higher than cut. I am talking about 1-1 1/2 inches higher than the cut and it really struggles. And it has developed a really, really bad vibration issue. I can't even hold the handle without it hurting. Not uncomfortable, hurting. Even just a few seconds. That is a lot of vibrations. I am not worried about a trail of grass, this one leaves clumps.

Edit: The banks and inclines is what stopped me from buying a new mower last year. Any mower I bring home is going to get treated like this. Run up and down hills, Mowing with the spark plug down the bank, etc. Some people are mechanically inclined and some aren't. But I love my family anyway.

Last edited:

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You're either kindly talking about your Wife or kid(s). I understand as I like my new-old lawn boy as it's a running mother, but vibrates compared to new ones and my Wife is MORE than smart enough to do the math for oil mix, or simply pour the preset bottle size into a predetermined amount of gas - she just doesn't want to. For her mowing is zombie mode, (her mindless escape) which would be fine if she paid attention while hauling ass on my 60" Hustler Super Z... :BangHead::bash:

Either way you win and lose some. If you want to mulch and want good power, some of the Toros will do very well. Otherwise, go to Home Depot and get a new Honda HRX217 with the GC190 engine and be done with it. Usually one-pull starts, no throttle, just maintain the oil and go.

On the no oil-change Briggs, I'd say they're allowing a preset amount of consumption and almost making their version of a Stihl 4-Mix from a different perspective. Either way, I'm dubious of it. Seems like a lowest-common denominator thing to me...o_O

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you could find a 2-stroke commercial Lawnboy, Snapper or Toro they'd be the best. After that, an engine that has a positive pressure oil pump would be my next bet. Most of the 2-strokes vibrate, a lot, are loud and can be thirsty, but in the hills they're worth it. How much area are you mowing?

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I find them smooth and quiet myself .

Commercials are heavy , best to just go with a standard model with mag deck .
An F model would be my choice . If you find one that's in good condition it will run for years .

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
mine are niether thirsty,loud or vibrate excessively you keep the blade balanced and sharpened and don't bend the blade adapter you shouldn't have a problem.
plus my lawnboys will out perform any toro,snapper or honda out there.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Lawn boy is as quiet and smooth as my Kawasaki powered John Deere, though it idles much higher. It biggest offense is that it drinks about 30% more and smokes. Gotta love the mag deck.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My Lawn boy is as quiet and smooth as my Kawasaki powered John Deere, though it idles much higher. It biggest offense is that it drinks about 30% more and smokes. Gotta love the mag deck.
bad crank seals will make one drink more gas and a dirty muffler will make one smoke.