High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Need a 21" push mower stat. Toro vs Honda vs ?

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So my current push mower is down. I might be able to fix later but don't have time right now. I need something I can pour oil and gas in, and start mowing. Suggestions?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Honda push mower that I bought in 1995 that still runs excellent. Can't beat Honda power or their engineering.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
go to lowes and get the husqvarna with a honda its a 21'' pusher with mulch or side discharge its around 300.00
or find a running beater on craigslist.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a running beater.....

Anyway! Good suggestion for a Husqvarna Honda from lowes. Cept lowes in my area doesn't carry the 7021P. :( Will call the local Husky dealer Monday. I am tempted to buy an expensive pro model, but I don't think I will.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If you want a mower for a long long time then this is one i would look out for. 21 in Pro model ..shaft drive , All Alloy.. inc the wheels , 2 speed dog clutch gearbox ,blade clutch, fan assist discharge and the Honda motor . A fine machine.

Photo0850.jpg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the Honda mower with the all plastic deck. Forgot what it is actually called, but it is a great little machine. Just change the oil yearly, and tune up about once every 5 years.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They call the deck material Nexite and it has a lifetime warranty and makes for an incredibly light and easy to push/maneuver unit. A friend has two of them, the first on my recommendation, the second based off of his fondness for the first unit. He wouldn't have had to buy a second unit, if he'd of kept up on the oil changes and keeping fresh fuel around, but I digress. The first unit made it roughly 5 years with probably 3 oil changes, 0 winterizations and general neglect. It was the HRX217 IIRC and between the mulch, bag and rear discharge functionalities was a hell of a mower. His newer one is hydraulically self-propelled and has a blade brake clutch/blade stop feature, which is nice, partially due to the lack of re-starts/heat cycles when bagging, but nicer due to having an actual throttle. The old one ran at a governed throttle setting, which was fairly high but was still fairly miserly on fuel. I would buy either mower, hands down except for my wife only wants to discharge and doesn't like the rear discharge. I need to see if they make a installable chute to deflect clippings from the rear to the side.

The wheels are also ball bearing units that are wide which makes the mower easy to push and allows it to track very easily. I'm sold on them.

Also FWIW, he mows a smaller yard in town. I mow around 7.5 acres in the country (mostly w/my Hustler Super Z) but do a lot of pus mowing around certain areas. whether "finish" mowing, or nearly bush-hogging, his mowers did better than the Snapper that I used growing up and many Toros, outside of the top-end commercials. For the money, they're probably the best thing going. His old version is still sold and is around $500 which is far and away more mower than you get at Lowes for that price or a few hundred more.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. That's the one. I have an older version of the same mower. I think my model is HRM215. But I am not positive. Another thing to mention is the double blade cutting system. On the Honda mowers, there are 2 blades stacked on top of each other and gives an awesome cut. I mulch 100 percent of the time, and I never have any buildup of grass. The double blades really do cut well and cut the grass into very small particles. Definitely worth the money spent.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 1st one in your post is the most popular mower they sell. HRR216

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing good about the Honda's here (which are different mowers but same engine) is as they are very popular & there is heaps of parts available on the bay both OEM/AM. EBay sellers will sell blades in bulk 25, 50, 100 pairs and are very competitive in price. Their heavy compared to old two strokes but parts and blades are cheap. I buy 100 pairs of blades at a time and am glad to get them at the price I can.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Snapper makes a couple that look nice but I don't know anything about the Briggs and Stratton engine that come on them: https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/push-mowers/hi-vac-series-lawn-mowers.html#item_3

https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/push-mowers/ninja-push-mower.html

I do like the Hondas but I would like a side discharge option. Honda doesn't offer that. But mulching is the main way I plan to mow.
I mowed a lot of yards growing up with snappers, and for bagging they're great (as long as the grass is dry and you're not taking off more than about 1"). The snapper is a tough and rugged design, but unless I was mowing really crappy/bumpy ground, I'd much rather use a HRX.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have the AWD Toro with personal pace. It took a time or 2 using it to get used to but now I prefer it over the self propelled one i had.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh, I need this mower to be able to climb banks, too. Is it true that front wheel drive doesn't climb well?

Kenjax, what engine does your mower have?

Last edited:

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nothing fancy but it starts first pull every time.
c306a35b65ac26f48bec3df6b02c89b1.jpg

The rear wheel drive is better on hills. Plus when the bag gets heavy it takes the weight off the drive wheel in the front.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. They don't put the HP on the motors anymore. That stinks.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have some slight concern about the toro branded engines. The ones that say they are "made" by Toro. I would take a Briggs over them and A Honda over a Briggs.

My yard isn't the smoothest. I have some roots but mainly it is clumps growing of grass that are bumpiest. And I have a constant battle to keep the oiled foam air filter on my current Briggs from clogging. My yard seems to generate duat on one side and very, very thick grass on the other.

Right now, I am looking at the Toro, the push Honda and I think I will swing by the Snapper dealer just to have a look.

Last edited: