Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
not really much to compare IMO. very different tools for different conditions (wood size- amount of operators)
when I have two or more helpers the TW6 is unbeatable. when its just me and I have smaller supply. the SS is just so damn cheap to run its unbeatable. Running them both is the best of both worlds...now that's a vid I should make :)
problem is I can never get help here.. :(

Having help makes a huge difference on either splitter. We had 5 people running a SS at a charity cut. One on the ram, one tossing splits off the table, one loading/reloading splits, and two of us were feeding wood from the stacks to the loader. It was almost continuous splitting for several hours.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yes it is.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the vid. Ive got a Kinetic on the way and seeing one handle tough wood sets my mind at ease.
I am amazed at how it splits after reading posts on "you have to read the wood" and it split certain types of wood. Congrats on your splitter. What kind did you get?

meisterburger

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I purchased a SSHD. I did an extensive amount of research prior to purchase and I couldn't find enough unhappy customers to sway me away from one. But there is still that lingering doubt that it will work for me. Im sure it will, its the site unseen aspect.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I purchased a SSHD. I did an extensive amount of research prior to purchase and I couldn't find enough unhappy customers to sway me away from one. But there is still that lingering doubt that it will work for me. Im sure it will, its the site unseen aspect.

If it doesn't work for you, I'll dispose of it for you.:)

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
nothing to doubt here. think of the SS as a maul with a motor and you will have no problems. remember if it takes more then a few "hits" with the SS then grab a saw and cut it. its just not worth the time to fight some woods and crotches. all wood is not splittable no matter what the species or machine. heck some woods don't even like to be cut with a saw...
I run a TW6 and my SS and still get some 'Uglies' that get cut or thrown in the burn pit pile.
no man or machine is perfect.

meisterburger

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
nothing to doubt here. think of the SS as a maul with a motor and you will have no problems. remember if it takes more then a few "hits" with the SS then grab a saw and cut it. its just not worth the time to fight some woods and crotches. all wood is not splittable no matter what the species or machine. heck some woods don't even like to be cut with a saw...
I run a TW6 and my SS and still get some 'Uglies' that get cut or thrown in the burn pit pile.
no man or machine is perfect.

I'm sure it will be fine.

Id be worried if I didn't have apprehension in dropping $3400 for something sight unseen.

The majority of what I split is ash, oak, cherry and some hickory.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey, i had to get someone to buy one in USA, then I had to smuggle it out of the country and import into New Zealand because Paul was so paranoid I was going to copy it he wouldn't sell me one. This I did on the strength of reviews and a gut feeling. So yeah, don't worry 'bout it, you bought wisely.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The splitter is working out great. So good that I sold my old hydraulic splitter. The last time I put gas in it was 4.3hrs. The tank holds under a gallon so I got a gallon in a can. So I filled the splitter with gas from the can with a gallon and ran the splitter some then put the remainder of the gas in. It ran to 9.5hrs. So I got 5.2hrs from a gallon of gas. The fuel efficiency amazes me. My old splitter used 1/2 gal an hour and this one use 1/5 gallon, less than half the gas. Then on top it that it is close to 50% more productive than my old splitter. So the cords per gallon on the split second is way better.

So far I've just done maintenance to it. I've greased the rack. I also tightened the belts a little, new belts always stretch a little. Splitter has 13 hours on it now.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The splitter is working out great. So far I've just done maintenance to it. I've greased the rack. I also tightened the belts a little, new belts always stretch a little. Splitter has 13 hours on it now.

How do you like having to hold the lever up during operation?

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Great vids, thanks, but that safety feature is such a handbrake it's crazy. You've already had to deal with what many less-educated people would consider death machines, namely chainsaws. So if you can handle one of those safely, you most definitely have the requisite skills to handle a kinetic without needing the lawyer-induced safety feature that is the two handed operation. Seriously, if you ever can, please get on a Super Split (or disngage your safety feature) for a wee while, especially having built the experience you now have with a kinetic, and let us know what a PITA it is going back to the relative slowness of your one and that you really didn't appreciate how good the splitting could be until you got behind a Super Split.

If you want, I'll bet you $20 that if you got on a well set-up kinetic that didn't have that safety feature, and spent a bit of time getting used to the rhythm you can generate with one, you'll be seeking to disengage that safety feature on yours.