My latest project

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will keep my eyes out for it. Sweet looking ride.

I should have been more specific. I took it to Indy to sell in 2o14, I think. It didn't sell. Ended up consigning it to a dealer and he sold it for me. Went to another dealer who then sold it. Lost track of the car after that.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never heard of that Mike. 427's were long gone in 1970. 68 was the last year
of production and was offered in the Cougars in the GTE model. Although
it was the low horse power 427 with a hydraulic cam. I seen a couple a few
years ago at the all Ford show in Carlisle Pa.

That's my recollection as well. Would have been the Q code with a single 4 bbl.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should have been more specific. I took it to Indy to sell in 2o14, I think. It didn't sell. Ended up consigning it to a dealer and he sold it for me. Went to another dealer who then sold it. Lost track of the car after that.
I remember seeing that car on the auction. That was a very very nice car.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What style heads did this car have?

Round port 614's. Although the engine in my car had been warmed up a bit -- built to Pure Stock Drags specs with 12:1 compression, very slight stroke (offset grind the crank), H-beam rods, better pistons, and a custom grind cam with a few subtle changes...

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember seeing that car on the auction. That was a very very nice car.

Yep. Indy actually used a picture of the engine on some of the promotional posters. I walked right by a few before I realized it.

Anyway, that's why I sold it -- it was too expensive to keep in storage (I was stationed in Korea at the time) and too nice to beat on.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to clarify, those Cougars would have been the Q code from the factory, but the dealer was authorized to put the 427 parts on the 428 CJ engine (carbs + cam).

I never heard of it before, and never saw one. Would have been cool if they did the same for the Mustang, as most Cougars were not for just performance, but likely Shelby would have objected to that.

https://dl-mail.ymail.com/ws/downlo...ZwLtd2IYPUF1_bls1gGMwSNrEeMECpsobhsmVqxuugENd

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Can't like that but i'm sure he wasn't the only one with a dead motor in a nice muscle car
that got abandoned.
I was in NJ. a few years ago buying some NOS 69 Mustang parts from a car restorer and
behind his shop was a 69 Mustang Boss 429 that had been sitting there for years waiting
for the owner to want to start the resto.
Friend of my dads named John has or did have one of those minus the motor forever. He left it sit outside and had a shop that could have gotten a lean-to.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, I just saw some new info on the net:

I guess in 1967 Shelby did build ONE GT-500 Super Snake with a Lightweight 427 Medium Riser and 2 X 4s. He was clocked driving it at 170 MPH. Although it ran great, it never went into production because it was too expensive. Likely, this is where the rumors came from.

I guess they did the next best thing the next year with the KR model. (Which had the 428 CJ heads instead of 390 heads like the other pathetic GT 500s).

For those who are interested, 428s were developed by Ford to provide more torque to tool their heavy T-Bird around. They are basically a stroked 406, and have 390 heads. Tasca Ford took the new motor (428) and wanted to make it into a performance motor, line the 427 Ford, so they tried to put a set of 427 Medium Riser heads on it (Ford had low, medium and high riser heads for the 427, the high risers were mostly for the track, and the medium risers were aggressive street heads). However, because the 428 has a smaller bore than the 427, the medium riser valves would not clear the cylinder.

So Tasca developed the 428 CJ head, which was basically Medium riser ports with Low Riser Valves and combustion chambers. Since my 427 was a Low Riser short block (had low riser pistons), I ran 428 CJ heads on it. Medium + High Riser heads have larger combustion chambers and work with a pop up piston.

Ford first put the 428 CJ in a very few 68 Mustangs at the end of the year, mostly with a drag pack option that included staggered rear shocks, and an engine oil cooler. Ford won the Winter NHRA nationals with that car that year. I briefly owned one with 4:30 posi.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got home from Indy. Man were there some saweeeeeeeeet cars.
Never seen so many GTO Judges, Buick Stage 1's, Boss 9's, Hemi's,
etc, etc, etc all in one place. It was awesome except the flight home
was a disaster.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad to hear you had a good time there, and glad you made it home safe.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just got home from Indy. Man were there some saweeeeeeeeet cars.
Never seen so many GTO Judges, Buick Stage 1's, Boss 9's, Hemi's,
etc, etc, etc all in one place. It was awesome except the flight home
was a disaster.
Nice. Pay the piper.