My experience with a Huztl coil

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
10:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wanted to share my .02. Back story... My 394 had no issues till I started milling with it. Then it developed what I (with the advice of others) thought was the hot start vapor lock issue. I fought the issue for a while, then had a revelation on day while milling an ash from my yard. The saw seemed to run fine till I left it sit @ idle while I moved planks, refueled etc. Then it would begin to miss fire. So I figured the coil may be getting hot due to the lack of full rpm airflow. I bought the Huztl coil from ebay for less than $10 thinking it would at least tell me weather or not the coil was on its way out. Viola! It solved the hot start issue totally (while on mill duty) and ran fine, for a while. I bought it mid March and continued to use the saw for mill and firewood duty. Then @ last years FHC gtg it just wasn't right, so we didn't run it for fear of something worse. I pulled the jug to inspect (this saw has seen a bunch of mill time) and everything was fine. Threw a carb kit @ it with no change. I ran it Sat. w/ Andrew during our Red Armor switch test and tune and it was bad...
Wasn't planning on sharing the vid, but if I can learn something, or someone else can learn something it's all good.
Very very slow to rev, like diesel slow and lacked powa. Very unusual for this saw. Today I put the original back on and fired it up. The beast is back, 100%. Won't mill till I get an oe replacement.

So the cheapy coil lasted less than a year but it did make me aware that my original was slowly dying. I guess it was worth the $10, but not a long term part IME.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IGNITIO...723065?hash=item51d67accf9:g:LRUAAOSwD0lUgzVM

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wanted to share my .02. Back story... My 394 had no issues till I started milling with it. Then it developed what I (with the advice of others) thought was the hot start vapor lock issue. I fought the issue for a while, then had a revelation on day while milling an ash from my yard. The saw seemed to run fine till I left it sit @ idle while I moved planks, refueled etc. Then it would begin to miss fire. So I figured the coil may be getting hot due to the lack of full rpm airflow. I bought the Huztl coil from ebay for less than $10 thinking it would at least tell me weather or not the coil was on its way out. Viola! It solved the hot start issue totally (while on mill duty) and ran fine, for a while. I bought it mid March and continued to use the saw for mill and firewood duty. Then @ last years FHC gtg it just wasn't right, so we didn't run it for fear of something worse. I pulled the jug to inspect (this saw has seen a bunch of mill time) and everything was fine. Threw a carb kit @ it with no change. I ran it Sat. w/ Andrew during our Red Armor switch test and tune and it was bad...
Wasn't planning on sharing the vid, but if I can learn something, or someone else can learn something it's all good.
Very very slow to rev, like diesel slow and lacked powa. Very unusual for this saw. Today I put the original back on and fired it up. The beast is back, 100%. Won't mill till I get an oe replacement.

So the cheapy coil lasted less than a year but it did make me aware that my original was slowly dying. I guess it was worth the $10, but not a long term part IME.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IGNITIO...723065?hash=item51d67accf9:g:LRUAAOSwD0lUgzVM

Sounds normal to me. Mine runs the same way :p

I do have the hot start issue though. Thanks for saving me the $10 and time

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only thing is, dont da 3 series hookies have blue SEM limited coils as oem? My tree90 did, I hate em!
Hard to tune bouncing off da limiturd. When da sem puked I put on black china coil, lasted almost a yr. On # 3 now. 10 buks.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only thing is, dont da 3 series hookies have blue SEM limited coils as oem? My tree90 did, I hate em!
Hard to tune bouncing off da limiturd. When da sem puked I put on black china coil, lasted almost a yr. On # 3 now. 10 buks.
390 is limited. I don't think a 394 is

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Earlier 3-series Huskies came with black coils. Not sure exactly when the changeover to blue coils occurred, I'm throwing an informed guess of about 2007-2008 out there.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jebus! 12 pin... mine could barely spin a 7.

My '94 394 is a black sem unlimited.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jebus! 12 pin... mine could barely spin a 7.

My '94 394 is a black sem unlimited.
Not sure what year mine is, or if that can even be determined
The tag is on the left case half, and I'm using that crank, cylinder, and handle.
Every other part was a hodgepodge of used and new parts lol. But it ain't limited, I know that

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you could find an app to convert your posts to English before you put them on the forum it would make it easier for some of us.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you could find an app to convert your posts to English before you put them on the forum it would make it easier for some of us.
Hmm, that challenging eh?
Guess I will have to bring some proper english to the table..
Some have trouble with phonics I take it.:icon_writing::roto2nuse::roto2rie:

By da way, are yous or yours a skool teatchr?
I was questioned once on the spey pages bout what da and n meant, (the) and (and).
Yes sir, an english prof. did the questioning.
Geez...

Last edited:

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been running china wangalo coils on 3 of my jonnys. I got 5 of them whipped to me about 3 years ago. One died right away. The others are perfect. Vendor sent me 2 replacements I've used them atleast 100 hers each since bought no trouble here. But they are the 272 type coils .

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been running china wangalo coils on 3 of my jonnys. I got 5 of them whipped to me about 3 years ago. One died right away. The others are perfect. Vendor sent me 2 replacements I've used them atleast 100 hers each since bought no trouble here. But they are the 272 type coils .
2 series coils rock!