My beginner's climbing stuffs...

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple of guys expressed interest in what I chose for a beginner climbing setup, so I thought I'd post it up publicly.

I've been blessed with great input from a professional climber throughout my shopping process. I chose to stick to the basics and use a DRT/DdRT setup for now. I picked up a split tail to use as a Blake's hitch. I also picked up a Hitch Climber pulley system and plenty of extra hardware so I can learn some more advanced techniques as I go. Keeping with the basic theme, the figure 8 gives me a tried and true descent method if all else fails.

My saddle is a Weaver Cougar. I chose to perform the Liger mod, which removes the "square" webbing bridge and replaces the hardware(rings) which held it with some four hole rigging plates and an actual rope bridge. This allows for length adjustment of the bridge, more mobility and also affords the saddle two more rigging points. I intend to use those as more forward points to attach my lanyard.

The lanyard is a 12' 2-in-1 setup, which will allow me to traverse up a tree and pass branches without losing my second tie in point(the lanyard).

Some of the hardware may be a bit redundant/superfluous/lavish...but I'll have it if I need it.

I went with a cheap helmet for now. I'll eventually upgrade to the Pfanner Protos(aka Power Rangers) helmet, when the budget allows. Not for the sake of showing off, but because it's truly a sleek and very effective piece of PPE.

200' of throwline and both 10 and 16 ounce throw bags round out the gear.

Comments? Suggestions? Questions? Fire away. :)
IMG_20171214_181426.jpg IMG_20171214_182006.jpg IMG_20171214_182050.jpg

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20171214_193509.jpg Ohhhh I forgot the most important part. There's 120' of New England Safety Blue in the Treestuff.com rope bag! That will get me 50-60' up into a canopy straight vertical. I'll upgrade to a longer length once I get comfortable at lower altitude(and with transitions).

Last edited:

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like you have a pretty nice setup! The setup that I have is very simple and serves me well. I just have a full harness with two 15' ropes attached to each D-ring and a right and left hand accender attached to each D-ring but want to upgrade to a nice saddle. I haven't gotten into all the ropes knots and pulleys. I pull a lifeline up with me to descend out after the tree is topped. A pair of Klein spikes with larger upper more comfortable pads that the local Amish man made for me. All the trees that me and my buddy take down are removals so it doesn't matter if we spike the tree. But I'd eventually like to learn how to climb using the fancy stuff.

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those figure 8’s make cool key rings

Haha that would be a large keyring!

It looks like you have a pretty nice setup! The setup that I have is very simple and serves me well. I just have a full harness with two 15' ropes attached to each D-ring and a right and left hand accender attached to each D-ring but want to upgrade to a nice saddle. I haven't gotten into all the ropes knots and pulleys. I pull a lifeline up with me to descend out after the tree is topped. A pair of Klein spikes with larger upper more comfortable pads that the local Amish man made for me. All the trees that me and my buddy take down are removals so it doesn't matter if we spike the tree. But I'd eventually like to learn how to climb using the fancy stuff.

I've got a set of beginner spikes coming. Also a nice set of pads. I've still gotta procure new straps when I can. I'm dead set on learning the old fashioned/hard way before inserting any state of the art doodads. That way I can think my way out of the proverbial paper sack. :)

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've considered going back to that four turn grab you have there with the double ended clips. It would be faster for me to ascend those million limb sticks. I'm flipping double steel lanyards with mechanical grabs on those no safe-t-line dead top deals. The srt rope walking is a pia to set up for just a simple crash down job with all the brush. But, it is the ticket for hung up widow makers ;-)

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
4:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I like the petzl vertex vent helmet, husky muffs and mesh are a good fit, a lot cheaper too.
If going up and down in the tree I'd recommend a friction saver, saves rope wear and effort. Knee and a foot ascenders make climbing a rope a lot easier and can be used for srt access too before changing out to ddrt
Good pads on spurs are nice too, just got some buckingham angled insert velcro wraps, comfy is good!

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've considered going back to that four turn grab you have there with the double ended clips. It would be faster for me to ascend those million limb sticks. I'm flipping double steel lanyards with mechanical grabs on those no safe-t-line dead top deals. The srt rope walking is a pia to set up for just a simple crash down job with all the brush. But, it is the ticket for hung up widow makers ;-)

The nice thing about the 2 in 1 is that you can use it as a normal lanyard too. I'm gonna experiment with that fancy shmancy Rock Exotica swivel to simplify the swapping from end to end.

I like the petzl vertex vent helmet, husky muffs and mesh are a good fit, a lot cheaper too.
If going up and down in the tree I'd recommend a friction saver, saves rope wear and effort. Knee and a foot ascenders make climbing a rope a lot easier and can be used for srt access too before changing out to ddrt
Good pads on spurs are nice too, just got some buckingham angled insert velcro wraps, comfy is good!

I checked out the Husqvarna branded Petzl. It was sold out everywhere.

I've added a friction saver to my next shopping cart on Treestuff at the advice of a few folks. Thanks for the tips!

I haven't looked at ascenders yet. I'm oblivious to what's what. I welcome advice!

The friction saver is a must when doing rope climbing, and learning the procedure to set it and retrieve it is a worthy idea as well.

See above. Definitely investing in one. Thank you for the advice! I'll take all I can get :)

The nylon strap bridge works well will a Williams D beaner and a Teflon roller on it. If I did not have that I would go back to the rope and ring your using as a bridge. It slides smooth.

I hadn't thought about ways to adapt it. Honestly though, I'm glad I switched. The stock bridge was...umm...squeezing me in uncomfortable ways lol...

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh you'll find uses for it, don't you worry!

Edit: It should make it easier if it stays far enough away from the trunk. Make sure it doesn't end up against the tree getting side loaded. Straight line pull only.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The main reason I went with the oversized saddle in 2D was to move the D rings out and not to have to work around a 4D set. Second reason was with the Bozen seat it will crush my skinny ass beacuse of the width. First three saddles I had sucked beacuse they dug in my hip and distract me from my work

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
4:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Can't recommend the treemotion harness enough, very adjustable to get it comfy, one main ring and 4 side D''s, also has a life support ring on the back for rescue or work position(?)