High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Murray Riding mower blade brake replacement. Coming soon...

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I order a 1 foot piece of metal free brake lining from Mcmaster-Carr. Part number 6175K813, if you want to know. Found on this page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/3565/=13stgb4 Going to try replacing the strips and see what happens! I saw stuff like this on Ebay but had doubts about claims of being asbestos free. I have more trust for a name like Mcmaster-Carr. But, honestly, this is the first time I have ordered from them. This is for my Murray 405011x92A. This seems like the cheaper option VS replacing both brake arms just to have new pads.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, it is finished. But I forgot to take pictures! It isn't hard though. When you get the brake material, cut it to size with heavy duty scissors or shears. It isn't very hard to cut, just thick. I had drilled out the rivits holding the old pads. I clamped the new pad on the arm, which by the way may be rusty under the old pad, and drilled holes for the new rivets in the brake pad. You might could use a leather punch or something similar to put the holes in the pad material. I didn't want to risk damaging my punches, so I drilled instead. Next, put pop rivets through the pad and arm. Pop the pop rivet, I had to by half inch aluminum ones because that was all I could find locally. We will see if the alminum holds up. It has so far in testing, but time will tell.

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I take that back, I have a pic of the old brake pads. Photos 007.JPG

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an old thread but I have another option .I have used an automotive clutch facing to make a pad for a small asphalt roller .It worked well .I'll give another atta boy for Mcmaster -Carr .If you can't find it there it's going to be hard to locate .Order over the telephone and have it in about 2 days or less .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting, my 1990 Murray has been needing this for some time now.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
1:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll get pics soon but on my 90 something mtd Montgomery wards rider the blade brake made contact with a flat spot on top of the pulley. I just took an only brake pad cut in half and welded it to the arm where the old brake was.