Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
5:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
been doing some thinkin’

If an EGR valve was designed and implemented to reduce peak combustion temps in vehicle engines in order to drop emissions of noxious gases, would a stuffed up muffler on a two stroke do the same?

If so, the theory of reduced combustion temperature should lead to lower cylinder and combustion chamber temperature (at least that is what is stated in the explanation of EGR function).

Here’s where I’m going with this...
I have been working under he assumption that opening a muffler reduces restriction and promotes flow to make a two stroke run cooler.

This defies the logic of EGR design and combustion temperature. Does increased combustion efficiency actually raise operating temperature.

Has anyone ever tested this?
Are we all just operating on assumption?
Are there more factors at play here?

@Redbull661 - what say you? Are tests required?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The way I’ve always understood EGR is the temp is lowered in the cylinder because the recycled exhaust acts as an almost inert gas that mixes with the fresh charge preventing a hotter, clean burn. This process also reduces the efficiency of combustion and engine performance as you know.

Though I don’t have empirical proof as you stated, I believe opening up the muffler does help reduce overall cylinder temp simply because the muffler isn’t holding onto exhaust as long. Would be a pretty easy experiment with a pyrometer or one of @Redbull661 s thermocouples.

Interesting topic:icon_popcorn:

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exhaust Gas Recirculation feeds exhaust gasses back through the intake to cool the temperature.

Would you agree that the end result would be similar? inert gases mixed with air / fuel before combustion.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
2:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The way I’ve always understood EGR is the temp is lowered in the cylinder because the recycled exhaust acts as an almost inert gas that mixes with the fresh charge preventing a hotter, clean burn. This process also reduces the efficiency of combustion and engine performance as you know.

Though I don’t have empirical proof as you stated, I believe opening up the muffler does help reduce overall cylinder temp simply because the muffler isn’t holding onto exhaust as long. Would be a pretty easy experiment with a pyrometer or one of @Redbull661 s thermocouples.

Interesting topic:icon_popcorn:
There's over 1 billion automobiles in use around the world every day. I imagine if there were as many chainsaws in use there would be a major difference in the emission technology.
I'm wondering if a two stroke motor is able to run with one.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Would you agree that the end result would be similar? inert gases mixed with air / fuel before combustion.
With the sole focus on temperature...I'm assuming so. I'm wondering if their target was restricting emissions and the cooler temp was just a by-product.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are plenty of examples of stopped up 2 stroke mufflers in the home owner grade of equipment for examples to look to. From what I see, it's a stop gap measure to reduce emissions at the expense of the longevity of the equipment. Stuff today is just flat out designed to fail at this level and on purpose. I see lots of ring collapses from caramelization of the excess carbon deposits. Repairing this equipment includes a repair to the muffler as well for it to last and last well past it's design parameters.
I don't think I would want exhaust in the crankcase with the bearings and such, would be the next design failure in my opinion. The gubberment would probably think it a good idea though, surely. o_O

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about these things? Copper plates that go on exhaust. They work?
0e4884016f869a4c93eabcebbf3a5bcf.jpg
91f805a1dedfced7b3999cc30322d20e.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about these things? Copper plates that go on exhaust. They work?
0e4884016f869a4c93eabcebbf3a5bcf.jpg
91f805a1dedfced7b3999cc30322d20e.jpg
That thing looks as if it would only help restrict air flow around the cylinder fins. o_O

Copper heat sinks are great compared to aluminum, but the design is crucial.

Back in the days of overclocking my desktop PC I reduced idle CPU temps by 10°C by replacing Intel's stock aluminum heat sink with a full copper Zalman.

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think high cylinder peak pressure/temp is responsible for nitrogen oxides, the purpose of egr I believe is to reduce peak combustion temperatures and reduce NOx emissions specifically. That's why they want egr on all the diesels so bad, because of the higher cylinder operating pressures resulting in NOx. I've heard of new f350's getting 25mpg with the egr and other emissions equipment removed so I would argue egr is a performance hindrance. The cat cleans up the dirty excess hydrocarbons, the egr reduced NOx at the combustion point. Or I'm dumb, who knows.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most if not all modern mandates for small engines,like chainsaws etc serve very little purpose in the broad spectrum of things .It only appeals to the anal retentive types concerning noise ,pollution etc .They are so small compared to the zillions of motor vehicles its almost an exercise in futility .Everybody has an opinion and that's mine .