High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Ms661 bars

Coolcraigster26

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
New here. Just got a new MS661. Want to get 2 or 3 different bars for it. Maybe like a 28, 32 and a 36. Anything under 28" I will use 562XP. This is my first saw this big so not sure yet on bar lengths. My main question is, should I go with the standard stihl bars or something like tsumura light bars? Thank you.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the club @Coolcraigster26. Proud owner of a 661. I hope you don't have the problems that I have had with mine and what others have had as well. But I fixed that problem now so it's all good.
As for the bars I have a 28" and a 36" that covers all of my needs. For anything smaller I have an 026 with an 18" bar and a 041 super with a 20" bar.

Coolcraigster26

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome to the club @Coolcraigster26. Proud owner of a 661. I hope you don't have the problems that I have had with mine and what others have had as well. But I fixed that problem now so it's all good.
As for the bars I have a 28" and a 36" that covers all of my needs. For anything smaller I have an 026 with an 18" bar and a 041 super with a 20" bar.
What problems did you have? I know they had problems in early production but haven't heard of any lately.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yeah I think 28 and 36 would be perfect. I see you have a maxflow on the 661. How do you like it vs stock filter?
The max flo is pretty much a must have on these saws! Much less servicing, and a nice bump in power!
This is mine, muffler mod, maxflow and base gasket delete, I slightly widened the intake and exhaust port as well, 8 tooth 3/8

Coolcraigster26

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The max flo is pretty much a must have on these saws! Much less servicing, and a nice bump in power!
This is mine, muffler mod, maxflow and base gasket delete, I slightly widened the intake and exhaust port as well, 8 tooth 3/8
Good to know. Thank you. Saw sounds awesome. Seems to pull 8 tooth sprocket no problem. 36" bar in video?

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to know. Thank you. Saw sounds awesome. Seems to pull 8 tooth sprocket no problem. 36" bar in video?
Yep 36” es light, it’s a simple combo for sure, and anything smaller it cuts with ease, you definitely need to pay attention in 20-24 wood it cut pretty fast!! I usually keep the 36” on it but would rock a 28 real nice!! And if you aren’t in big wood, the 661 and a 28 is fun!

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What problems did you have? I know they had problems in early production but haven't heard of any lately.

Check out the thread "Has the 661 been proven like the 066/660". That will give you an idea of some of the issues. If yours is the newest model with all the updates on the M-tronics you should be ok. The problems are with the coil, wiring harness, module, carb and solenoid on the carb. You should be ok. If you bought a package of the Stihl oil that should take your warranty to two years. It sounds like they almost have the problem worked out on the newer models.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome to OPE.
I run a 660 but it is the same mount as you know. The 28 3/8 and 40 404 get used the most now. 24 for bucking dead oak and that hard *s-word like maples, locust and walnuts that seen better days. Most times the 28 3/8 which I have a pile of them. It wears a 28 404 to mill most times. Bars used nothing fancy ES bars. Curious if your has issues. Keep these guys up to date on any issues that arise or not. Punch the oil pump pin if you run a 36" or larger. Be careful out there with that new big saw.

Coolcraigster26

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Check out the thread "Has the 661 been proven like the 066/660". That will give you an idea of some of the issues. If yours is the newest model with all the updates on the M-tronics you should be ok. The problems are with the coil, wiring harness, module, carb and solenoid on the carb. You should be ok. If you bought a package of the Stihl oil that should take your warranty to two years. It sounds like they almost have the problem worked out on the newer models.
Good to know. Thank you

Coolcraigster26

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome to OPE.
I run a 660 but it is the same mount as you know. The 28 3/8 and 40 404 get used the most now. 24 for bucking dead oak and that hard *s-word like maples, locust and walnuts that seen better days. Most times the 28 3/8 which I have a pile of them. It wears a 28 404 to mill most times. Bars used nothing fancy ES bars. Curious if your has issues. Keep these guys up to date on any issues that arise or not. Punch the oil pump pin if you run a 36" or larger. Be careful out there with that new big saw.
Hopefully I won't have any problems. 2018 model. I will keep yall updated on any problems. Yes I will have to take it easy at first. Biggest saw I've used to date is a MS441. We have a 130 acre ranch my father and I inherited from my grandfather and have a few large oak trees down from hurricane Harvey we have to take care of. So I now have MS241, 562XP and the MS661. That should take care of anything I run across.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Keep your chains razor sharp always! It will always be safer!!!
Run those saws like you stole them. Open the mufflers now and buy a bar rail dresser. You will need it. Let them saws scream.

Coolcraigster26

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Keep your chains razor sharp always! It will always be safer!!!
Run those saws like you stole them. Open the mufflers now and buy a bar rail dresser. You will need it. Let them saws scream.
yes I try to keep them sharp. Just started trying to sharpen by hand. But that's gonna take practice. I wish I would have stole them would have been much cheaper. Haha.

Should I wait til after warranty ends to do the muffler mods or go ahead and do it?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tough call there. You mod them the warranty will be gone. You don't and they suffer from heat. Best advice from is to buy another muffler and mod that or buy a done up dual port from the guys here at OPE. Pulling the screen helps. Be mindful of mud daubers. They suck.