High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Ms660 full rebuild with am cyl kit woes

Painlessjoe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello everyone first thank you for accepting me to this wonderful site that has been a wealth of knowledge and interest. Hopefully I can add something positive to the site and it’s members. Ok so I got a wiped out 660 from friend who runs a tree service to get back in service for him . Bad cyl piston. I completely rebuilt it with oem parts from the ground up with the exception of a.m. cyl kit vac tested before start up ran for 2 min then broke ring piston luckily it was idling.was really looking forward to using this cyl as is has the enhanced port timing . Plating flaked off around exhaust port and bottom of cyl at intake feels like tin foil . Questions or comments? Thanks again

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the site. Are you referring the MMWS Cross cylinder kit? If the plating is flaking already I'd say you have a lemon of a cylinder regardless of make/model and I wouldn't bee so keen to run it myself. Pictures should help us help you though...

Painlessjoe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Trying to figure out how to put pics on here I’m not very good at navigating those kind of things yet and well ... yes it was a cross . By no means bashing though.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Piston in backwards? That will snag/break a ring.

Locator pins go on intake side.

Painlessjoe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nope arrow to exhaust, 40:1 vp oil 74 main jet in wj 69 ,new oem seals, bearings base gasket with a little 518 approximately .030 squish all new rubber as well vac pressure test before first start even ran a little fine emery by hand around the port openings . Really tried to be meticulous, maybe I was overthinking it or I just s**k

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
9:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The exhaust port roof and floor can be pretty flat on those cylinders but it varies a lot. Maybe you got an extremely bad one.

Painlessjoe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the input got a new Stihl cyl kit on the way from dealer for 270 never bought a new oem cyl before only good used with never an issue and all of those are working fine . More later.