Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
2:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My initial thoughts running the 500 were that stihl did a great job with the size and power of the saw. It feels very nimble and balances quite nice with a 28” LW bar. It has a very wide power band and it has great torque. The 500 imo isn’t as high strung feeling as a 462 but it spools up almost as fast.
Personally I think the 462 is a great saw for 20”-24” bars every day and the 500 will be better with the 28”+ bars.
The one thing that I will say about the 500 is that to me the AV feels almost to soft. It could be that I’m not really used to the spring mount but when compared to the 462 the 462 feels a bit stiffer. I suppose this could just be from the different length and weights of the bars I was using.
I do plan to port my 500 in the near future. I’m sure it will respond to porting as most saws do but I’m just not sure how much meat is left on the bone so to speak. Again, imo Stihl did a great job with this saw. If the fuel injection proves to hold up I think it will be a highly sought after saw

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My initial thoughts running the 500 were that stihl did a great job with the size and power of the saw. It feels very nimble and balances quite nice with a 28” LW bar. It has a very wide power band and it has great torque. The 500 imo isn’t as high strung feeling as a 462 but it spools up almost as fast.
Personally I think the 462 is a great saw for 20”-24” bars every day and the 500 will be better with the 28”+ bars.
The one thing that I will say about the 500 is that to me the AV feels almost to soft. It could be that I’m not really used to the spring mount but when compared to the 462 the 462 feels a bit stiffer. I suppose this could just be from the different length and weights of the bars I was using.
I do plan to port my 500 in the near future. I’m sure it will respond to porting as most saws do but I’m just not sure how much meat is left on the bone so to speak. Again, imo Stihl did a great job with this saw. If the fuel injection proves to hold up I think it will be a highly sought after saw
but yours wont be the first ever ported 500 in the world

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with you on all points Mike.

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMHO using both of them quite a while and after lots of testing, i have to admit.... stock, the 462 is the more complete saw all around. Not much to no difference in power up to 25", better filtration, better av design, cheaper and it needs noticeable less fuel than the 500i (the 500i needs more fuel than a 661 with the same work load!).
The 500i is a great saw and maybe the future but right now it doesn't have any advantage being "fuel injected".

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe more fuel mix lubing the lower end bearings? Running cooler?

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since the 500 arrived I haven’t run my 462. In fact, I boxed the 462 up and put it away. The only problem I have with running them both side by side is that now the wife can see 2 shiny new saws and then questions must be answered.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love the 500 btw, a huge Hickory fell in the night the week after it arrived. I have been wearing that tree out. It’s about 30” at the base and I’m working my way up to it. The 500 has more power/grunt out of the box and I think will make the better saw for the feller. The 462 while certainly a Pro saw will make a better “firewood gathering” type saw. I’ve run both saws with the same bar(25”) and RS chain.
I actually love them both. I can see the dust gathering.......on all my old Stihls.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and another thing, I keep seeing folks trashing the filtration on the 500i There is nothing, repeat nothing getting by the filter in the 500i. At the base of the HD2 filter is a ductile stretch rubber ring that is stretched over a raised wall on the filter plate. A compressible rubber sealing washer is stretched over the bayonet mount that is compressed when the rear cover is installed. When you remove that filter, the dust you see on the filter plate is dust that was stopped at the base by the rubber seal in the bottom of the HD2 filter. I’m telling you, nothing is getting by it. If care is taken to blow away or brush away the obvious dust on the filter & plate, when the filter is removed none will fall in the intake.

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since the 500 arrived I haven’t run my 462. In fact, I boxed the 462 up and put it away. The only problem I have with running them both side by side is that now the wife can see 2 shiny new saws and then questions must be answered.
when i unboxed my ported @tree monkey 461R. my wife asked me why i didn't order the 500I? :thinking:

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys move on way too quickly. It takes me a long time to form a relationship with my saws, I can't just love 'em and leave 'em :)
lol ive bought saws and had them ported before putting my hands on them lol
my 500 is being shipped out next week to get played in

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used both eat the CT GTG albeit, for a short time.

They are both good feeling saws. Didn’t have time to appreciate the AV, which seems to be a common compliant. If the 500i is actually as soft or softer than a 7900, I won’t be liking it. I’m used to old Stihl feel, but I also don’t cut 8 hours a day. The 7900 feels like I’m holding a saw someone else is cutting with, it ain’t for me.

They feel like factory hybrids to me, the best way I can put it. Both feel to be in a class 10cc smaller than their actual displacement. So when I picked up the 462 and it had 70cc performance, I liked it already. Same for the 500i.

Bother super easy starting as well.

Other than a muff mod and maybe a popup piston, I’m not so sure there is a lot to gain on either with port work.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Vibes are damaging, granted everyone is afraid to give up there “man” card and say vibes bother them. Tell you what, run a 044 for 8 hours in the freezing cold on a January morning... then run a 462 the next day... you won’t want to run a 044 anymore. Cutting a cord or two of firewood a year... doesn’t really matter as much. But if you work with a saw weekly as an arborist/tree guy or logger you will notice vibes! Square chain also really helps vibes on the older saws with poorer av. AV smoothness is often overlooked imo.

Last edited:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
9:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've put quite a bit of run time on my 500i since receiving it last month. I've put 12-15 tanks through it easily. I honestly really like it.

The filtration is not my favorite, as it's old tech on a new tech saw. The air injection on the 462 is far superior. Air injection would have made this saw an A+, IMO.

AV is real soft. I've got a video of it somewhere where I take the nose of a 20" bar on the Dolmar 79XX and the 500i and manipulate the AV. The 500 is noticeably softer.

It's good for nice comfortable cutting. I'm just not sure on how much abuse it will take. I've read about a few instances where guys were roughing the 462 up and broke AV mounts.

I'm sure it's a cheap and easy fix, but again, for the price of these two saws they shouldn't have to be put in the truck while the backup saw handles the cutting duties.

If I were a full time logger, I'd probably throw my money at a 572XP if I wanted a 70-80cc saw. Arborist duties are where the 462 and 500i shine IMO.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I own a muff modded 462 and love it (20" light bar), and I ran the 500i at the GTG. I would agree with the previous assessments.

For a 20" bar I would hands down take the 462, and for a 28" (and I would go with a light) I would pick the 500i, but for a 24" bar, it is a toss up. You will be very happy with either one! Can't go wrong with either one.

In addition to the great filtration, the 462 is very light and has instant throttle response, and a broad power band making it excellent for bucking and limbing.

If you want an all around saw, go with the 462, but bucking only, the 500i. (IMO).