AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been slacking majorly as of late on the thread updates for the MS500i. In a few short words I can sum up what I think about it though--I love this saw! It ain't no Dolmar, but I love it anyway. :D

A 25" bar is the sweet spot for the 500 IMO. Both saws can run long bars 28" and over. The 500i has the the torque to easily work a bar of that length. Both have the same oiler and they will oil a 36".

AV is a little soft on the tank handle side on these saws for long bars IMO. Both saws run great after muff mods. Both respond well to porting. The 500 seems a little thirsty, and has a tendency to retain heat due to muff design.

The filtration on the 500i is standard previous gen Stihl. The 462 has air injection and the 500 doesn't. I'll probably put my ported 461 up for sale after getting the 500 all sorted and running the way I like it.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
11:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm curious what kind of gains will be had with porting the 500. Will it know to compensate for the added flow? Does it have an oxygen sensor? It must compensate for filter pluggage somehow.

Word on the street is @dall delt with GTG pluggage, but @leadfarmer showed him how to deal with it.
:D

Last edited:

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
12:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm curious what kind of gains will be had with porting the 500. Will it know to compensate for the added flow? Does it have an oxygen sensor? It must compensate for filter pluggage somehow.
The one I have is already ported and videos posted in this thread.