Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure I would run a 32" very long. I ran one for about 10 minutes and it showed signs of not enough oil. This was in a big dead red oak. I have a 395 now, so I will stick with it for big bar stuff! I don't know why Randy didn't mention this oiler mod when he had my saw. I would of had him do it then. I may attempt it on mine, but I am a little skeered to start hacking a newish saw.

I think you could buy the parts for your saws from the dealer. I found it looking to pick up the oiling on my ms390

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mornin Dustin

I embarrassed to say the number of nights it has kept me awake. Haha!
The treatment and care I give this Mastermind Masterpiece is similar to that of my 4 month old baby.

.......Can ya tell I'm obsessed with it!?!?

(The wife thinks I'm a total nut case)

I run a 25" full comp but am thinking of getting a 32" for felling some of these big oaks that I've got.

Think she'd pull it or would I have to go to a semi chain?

I don't have the R version so I'm somewhat concerned over the oiler output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a 461 by stihls specs will run a 32 inch bar stock my mmws461 i run a 8 or 9 pin with a 25 inch bar and wouldnt doubt it will pull a 32 inch bar with 8 pin mike lee is who i bought the saw from and he has video of it doing just that i run full comp on all my bars

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run the wire mesh winter filters, yikes, I know they are not what is considered a good filter but my saws don`t know that, they get blown out each evening after work, fresh filed chain and filled with fuel and bar oil. They like to breathe through those wide open ports and the fuel flows profusely but the amount of work they get done per hour, day in and out without repair or down time was what I built them for. No EPA crap jamming up their intake or exhaust. I run high test, 97 eth free,same as my boat engines get and the top of the pistons have no carbon on them with hundreds of hours use. The squish is set at .017 - .019 on them all with just the ridge removed from the cylinder head, the rest is just porting 101.....LOL

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. It's great to know that they'll hold up on that environment with the mesh filter.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mornin Dustin

I embarrassed to say the number of nights it has kept me awake. Haha!
The treatment and care I give this Mastermind Masterpiece is similar to that of my 4 month old baby.

.......Can ya tell I'm obsessed with it!?!?

(The wife thinks I'm a total nut case)

I run a 25" full comp but am thinking of getting a 32" for felling some of these big oaks that I've got.

Think she'd pull it or would I have to go to a semi chain?

I don't have the R version so I'm somewhat concerned over the oiler output.

Get the parts for the oiler for $40 or buy the whole oiler for $85~

Aggie2012

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get the parts for the oiler for $40 or buy the whole oiler for $85~

Mdavlee,

I am assuming it would be easier for me to buy the parts than go through with yours and Randy's "grinding" technique to increase output?

Thanks for helping me out here

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mdavlee,

I am assuming it would be easier for me to buy the parts than go through with yours and Randy's "grinding" technique to increase output?

Just take a peek at it. The hardest part for me was not losing the roll pin. Then if you mess it up just buy the new part.

Last edited:

Aggie2012

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just take a peek at it. The hardest part for me was not losing the rool pin. Then if you mess it up just buy the new part.

Thanks Dub,
I'll probably take it apart and snap a few pics so I understand exactly what I'm about to cut off. Haha!

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As your fuel tank gets emptied, your saw naturally leans out. This will somewhat explain the symptoms your experiencing. This happens regardless if a saw is ported, high compression or low. It will happen to a ms170 or ms880. Combine this with the fact a saw will run richer when cold to a saw that's at operating temp and bingo you quite easily see 1k or rpm difference, often less sometimes more. I tune on a full tank with a saw at operating temp, knowing it won't go near the danger zone as it leans out. Make sense?

Aggie2012

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As your fuel tank gets emptied, your saw naturally leans out. This will somewhat explain the symptoms your experiencing. This happens regardless if a saw is ported, high compression or low. It will happen to a ms170 or ms880. Combine this with the fact a saw will run richer when cold to a saw that's at operating temp and bingo you quite easily see 1k or rpm difference, often less sometimes more. I tune on a full tank with a saw at operating temp, knowing it won't go near the danger zone as it leans out. Make sense?

Thanks CR,

Yes sir that does make sense now. Looks like I wasn't giving my saw enough time to warm up before adjusting/Good RPM reading.

I appreciate the explanation

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mdavlee,

It's not too hard. Just a little does a lot.

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What happened between the 460 and the 461 that made Stihl reduce the bar length rating? My 460 says it's rated for 36". Granted, it sucks at oiling it (have the oil pump apart now fixing that), and I'd want 80 or 90cc's to do it all day long, but...

Was it a, "we changed something so now we're really only comfortable with 32 inches", or, "36 inches was a bad plan, so we'll put down max 32 for this new model"?

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure I would run a 32" very long. I ran one for about 10 minutes and it showed signs of not enough oil. This was in a big dead red oak. I have a 395 now, so I will stick with it for big bar stuff! I don't know why Randy didn't mention this oiler mod when he had my saw. I would of had him do it then. I may attempt it on mine, but I am a little skeered to start hacking a newish saw.

1c32cee7da12a5441a014c2034577119.jpg

#WrapLivesMatter

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1. How well does it oil it?

2. The wrap model has the HO oiler doesn't it?

1. I've not run that Bar yet, as I've been working elsewhere, but it did just fine with my other 32".

2. I Assume So.

P.S.
Don't even play with any of the other Reduced Weight, or Light Weight Bars: Stihl ES Light or Tsumara Light or GTFO.

Even though I think Sugi are great bars.

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1. I've not run that Bar yet, as I've been working elsewhere, but it did just fine with my other 32".

2. I Assume So.

P.S.
Don't even play with any of the other Reduced Weight, or Light Weight Bars: Stihl ES Light or Tsumara Light or GTFO.

Even though I think Sugi are great bars.
Have you ever had a oregon light heef?

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What happened between the 460 and the 461 that made Stihl reduce the bar length rating? My 460 says it's rated for 36". Granted, it sucks at oiling it (have the oil pump apart now fixing that), and I'd want 80 or 90cc's to do it all day long, but...

Was it a, "we changed something so now we're really only comfortable with 32 inches", or, "36 inches was a bad plan, so we'll put down max 32 for this new model"?
I would say oiling issues