High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MS460 base gasket delete and timing advance?

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
2:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't answer about the timing advance, but I think the squish is often pretty tight from factory on these saws, so I don't know if you can just delete the gasket. You'll have to replace the original gasket with a thinner one, probably. In any case, check your squish!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
9:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm wanting to do this with my muffler modded 460 and can easily enough do the base gasket delete, but how do you do the timing advance? I hear stuff about shaving the fly wheel key a certain amount, but I get lost there. Some pictures would be awesome!
I don't have pics, but clamp your key in a pair of vise grips, exposing only the portion that catches the flywheel. Lock the vise grips in a vise and file that portion your desired amount. When you reinstall, make sure you install the key in the crank so the flywheel can advance over the portion you filed away. Turn the fw counter clockwise and tighten the nut

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have just done a 460. muffler mod.. timing advance and deleted the base gasket. checked the squish after and it was 20 thou. sounds angry and purposeful now. about to drop in in some wood.
Let us know the results. Was thinking of this for my 046. I just did this to a old beater 044 and was pleasantly surprised [emoji2]

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
measure twice, delete base once...

ya never know what the piston is( oem-am) or if it was cut( hold the pop-up jokes please) if the base gasket is oem of other and if the deck heights are true..so
by all means delete gasket when space is available, but just measure squish first.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad you got it figured out, but Randy's build thread for the MS461 shows how to do the timing advance very clearly.

The key is usually about 80/1000 (sometimes just 78/1000), I take 20/1000 off on both my 044/440s and 046/460s. Seems to work well w/o any problems. Some folks go for more, but I like to stay conservative, it is a work saw.

20/1000 should provide about 5 or 6 degrees of advance.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Caution, make sure the crank and flywheel are clean when you put them back together (I would used some break cleaner on them) because friction is what holds the flywheel in place, and you don't want it to rotate on you, trust me!

I always check that I have rotated the flywheel against the cut key by temporarily inserting a thin piece of wire in the gap on the left side of the flywheel key groove.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What MustangMike said and be extra extra careful to avoid letting the cleaner make contact with the bearing seal because it will ruin it.