High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MS440 Magnum Low Compression?

flhx

Active OPE Member
Local time
3:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Newbie checking in here; I just received a Stihl MS440 Magnum from a friend. It's a non runner. The first thing I checked was spark (good) and compression (90 PSI) I removed the exhaust and the piston does not appear to be scored, the rings don't appear to be in to bad of shape. I'm thinking of just replacing the rings.

My understanding is anything under 110 PSI is unacceptable.

* Any and all technical assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pull the cylinder and check it and the piston out for scoring. If they're both fine, remove the rings and slide one up into the bore, use the piston to square it up, and check the end gap. Ideal is .010"ish. Yours is hopefully. 050". If there's no aluminum transfer, and the piston skirts aren't worn, a new set of oem or caber rings will probably get it going like new again.

Feel free to post pics as you progress

flhx

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is your decomp seating?
Yes the decomp does appear to be seating. After a closer examination (Much more light) there is some scoring on the piston and rings. I can get a finger nail into the scoring. The cylinder appears to be in good shape.

Is there a site you could recommend for OEM parts? Or parts that are worthy of installing onto a Stihl?

Thank you for the rapid reply.

flhx

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pull the cylinder and check it and the piston out for scoring. If they're both fine, remove the rings and slide one up into the bore, use the piston to square it up, and check the end gap. Ideal is .010"ish. Yours is hopefully. 050". If there's no aluminum transfer, and the piston skirts aren't worn, a new set of oem or caber rings will probably get it going like new again.

Feel free to post pics as you progress
Your technical assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you. I'll keep you posted. I'll share some pictures along the way.

I'm in need of a reputable site to purchase OEM or OEM spec parts from, any suggestions? You get what you pay for.

Thanks again

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your technical assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you. I'll keep you posted. I'll share some pictures along the way.

I'm in need of a reputable site to purchase OEM or OEM spec parts from, any suggestions? You get what you pay for.

Thanks again
HL Supply with a Meteor or CCC