ms440 / 460 hybrid clone??

earlthegoat2

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am an 044 sale away from being able to fund mine. Maybe a few more weeks. It seems real straightforward to me. I'm going to photo document the process and maybe even do a blog on it as there does not seem to be a ton of info out there on them.

I have a used OEM 460 cylinder and an 044 saw ready for the conversion. I would not use an 046/460 BB cylinder as it has been pretty well verified anecdotally that OEM Stihl cylinders run better and are more receptive to porting than AM BB cylinders.

Just need the 046 piston. Got the taps and drills to enlarge the cyl mounting holes on the crankcase. Dremel and burrs to elongate the cylinder screw holes and cut clearance between the 044 crank and 046 piston. Many other things I will run into I am sure.

Last edited:

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm putting one together now too. Chinese farmertec/huztl ms440 kit but using a hyway bb460 piston/cylinder. I haven't seen a 100% walk through write up with pictures. There was one on AS but pics don't work.

earlthegoat2

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll be starting with split cases and build up from there. Just have to sell this 044 and and the project will be funded. Hopefully I can entice a local buyer this weekend.

I just reread the title. Are we talking about Stihl OEM 044/046 builds or are talking Hutzl/Farmertec parts kit builds? In the end mine will be pretty close to a kit build since I'm starting with split cases.

Last edited:

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am an 044 sale away from being able to fund mine. Maybe a few more weeks. It seems real straightforward to me. I'm going to photo document the process and maybe even do a blog on it as there does not seem to be a ton of info out there on them.

I have a used OEM 460 cylinder and an 044 saw ready for the conversion. I would not use an 046/460 BB cylinder as it has been pretty well verified anecdotally that OEM Stihl cylinders run better and are more receptive to porting than AM BB cylinders.

Just need the 046 piston. Got the taps and drills to enlarge the cyl mounting holes on the crankcase. Dremel and burrs to elongate the cylinder holes and cut clearance between the 044 crank and 046 piston. Many other things I will run into I am sure.

I'll be starting with split cases and build up from there. Just have to sell this 044 and and the project will be funded. Hopefully I can entice a local buyer this weekend.

I just retread the title. Are we talking about Stihl OEM 044/046 builds or are talking Hutzl/Farmertec parts kit builds? In the end mine will be pretty close to a kit build since I'm starting with split cases.
Sounds like fun.
Start a thread when you do Earl. Deets066, canadianfarmboy, and Adirondackstihl are all experienced with these. You will have plenty of help.
The OP of this thread is interested in hybrids built from Chinese clones. Not oem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gravedigger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Just need the 046 piston. Got the taps and drills to enlarge the cyl mounting holes on the crankcase. Dremel and burrs to elongate the cylinder screw holes and cut clearance between the 044 crank and 046 piston. Many other things I will run into I am sure.

Sounds like a nice project. Please start a thread and document if you can for it will be a help. Yes I was asking about a huztl/farmertec build.