XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
11:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Morning Fellas,

My friend has an MS391 that he wants me to liven up. Now, I've had some great success grinding on my XP's but I'm of the understanding that the 391 is quite the pig. But since I have zero hands on experience with this saw I'd like to hear your opinions on waking it up. Is it worth the time? Could one reasonably expect a ported 391 to run close to a stock MS361? Just a stab in the dark with that comparison not knowing much about the Orange and White saws. School me up gents! Thanks.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a clamshell design, so it would be very difficult to tighten squish. That being said, I think a good widening and squaring of the intake and exhaust port, gasket match the heat shield and muffler, generous muffler mod, and a timing bump would be worthwhile. These saws run pretty good stock, and respond well to basic mods.

Joe

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a clamshell design, so it would be very difficult to tighten squish. That being said, I think a good widening and squaring of the intake and exhaust port, gasket match the heat shield and muffler, generous muffler mod, and a timing bump would be worthwhile. These saws run pretty good stock, and respond well to basic mods.

Joe

I recall running his saw a long time ago and I thought it ran pretty nice. His problem is he tries to run it like an 066 that he previously had...not gonna happen. I just hope if I spend the time on his saw he appreciates it for what it is and doesn't compare it's power to the bigger saws. Thanks for the advice on where to mod it. As always, experienced insight is always appreciated.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To clarify my mistaken "pig" description, I was thinking of the 290 not the 391. Again, not an experienced orange and white guy here...lol

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ask @Mastermind what he did to the linked MS 390......it's very strong.

Thanks for posting that video. I'm going to show it to my friend and see if he wants the work done. Not that I can achieve Mastermind results, but I know I can improve it.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
9:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that video. I'm going to show it to my friend and see if he wants the work done. Not that I can achieve Mastermind results, but I know I can improve it.
Sounds good. When you show him the video, make sure to let him know that the Hickory in the video is harder than Woodpecker Lips.

The saw is a 2002 model, that went to Cottle Lane in 08/2011. It is one of a few that I always take when I go cutting.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds good. When you show him the video, make sure to let him know that the Hickory in the video is harder than Woodpecker Lips.

The saw is a 2002 model, that went to Cottle Lane in 08/2011. It is one of a few that I always take when I go cutting.

Damn........I've been porting saws awhile huh? Time flies.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn........I've been porting saws awhile huh? Time flies.
I just sent the link to your video to my friend. Fair warning; I may be picking your brain a little if he wants to mod his saw. ;)

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Show him the vid of the JMS 394! LOL!

I voted "port it" because I wanted to see the results.... My vote swung the poll in favor of porting it... by 1.. LOL!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Show him the vid of the JMS 394! LOL!

I voted "port it" because I wanted to see the results.... My vote swung the poll in favor of porting it... by 1.. LOL!

Yep...that's the last time I put a poll on a thread. Oh well...lol

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I built this 290 for Phil.....
Was no slouch

Definitely not a slouch...thanks for posting that video.

So how are you guys bumping compression on these saws? Domed piston? If I understand clamshell design properly you can't just machine the base or delete the gasket. Just curious