MS362 variations. School me

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
9:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So this is probably the 10th 362 I've had. None have really impressed me enough to keep around. This one might be different, it came in with the ringland broken out on the exhaust side.

So before I put it back together. What are the difference in the three and four bolt cylinders? Is the newer version better? And can they be swapped out?

I have have both style intakes and the plastic devider for both. This saw is a 2013 four bolt intake originally.

Any easy gains to be had while I have it apart? Base delete or anything?

Steven

D B Cooper

44:1 Bel-Ray MC1
Local time
10:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put the new 10mm sparky plug, slanted fin cylinder and piston on my 13 model year.
The new updated intake boot was on backorder ,used the old one with new style airbox.
Saw ran good but was lacking,New V3 coil and new updated white solenoid carb really woke it up.
Cabers and base gasket delete,muffler mod.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know that the newer M Tronic saws have a much better air filter system (oval instead of flat) than the older saws, but lots of parts need to be changed to covert. There is also a newer Ver II that is about 1/2 lb lighter, but I don't know the technical differences other than the cylinder looks like a slant fin.

One of the builders or dealers with a lot of experience with these would have to help you out. To me, it seemed like a bad idea to make so many significant changes and still refer to the saw with the same #.

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess what I'm going to do is wait for the new parts I need for this one to come in. And in the meantime I will pull my box of 362 parts down and compare the different cylinders I have. I'm also tempted to pull out the box of 391 parts and see if I can use the non mtronic carb on the 362. And possibly the coil & flywheel. Never hurts to compare them when they are apart.

Steven

D B Cooper

44:1 Bel-Ray MC1
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
somewhere on this site i found a technical bulliten TI 14.2017 .
It has all the part numbers and explains what works with what on the 362.
Found out the running funk I was experiencing was from the old controll module and a 10MM plug.
Love the way the new v3 coil reset and calibrate procedure is. Alot faster than the old way,better initial tune getting it on in the cut.

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
somewhere on this site i found a technical bulliten TI 14.2017 .
It has all the part numbers and explains what works with what on the 362.
Found out the running funk I was experiencing was from the old controll module and a 10MM plug.
Love the way the new v3 coil reset and calibrate procedure is. Alot faster than the old way,better initial tune getting it on in the cut.

I will have to find that. I have a couple of 2016 362's that still have the coils and carbs on them. I am going to have to dig them out and see if they are the same as what's on this 13 or not.

Steven

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well......there are at least four versions. And that's not counting variations in those versions. Like Quick Stop, R Models, etc. Right?
The easiest way to solve the version problem is to go back to a well-tuned MS361 and use that saw instead. That's my solution and it works.

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The easiest way to solve the version problem is to go back to a well-tuned MS361 and use that saw instead. That's my solution and it works.

Kinda the same deal here. I have a 600p and a modified 029/039 and they both out cut the 362's I've had hands down. I was hoping I could get this particular 362 to run as hard as the 600p. I love that little echo, but the stihl feels better to run. It's just to much of a pooch is the problem. It doesn't get near the work done as the other two.

Steven

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kinda the same deal here. I have a 600p and a modified 029/039 and they both out cut the 362's I've had hands down. I was hoping I could get this particular 362 to run as hard as the 600p. I love that little echo, but the stihl feels better to run. It's just to much of a pooch is the problem. It doesn't get near the work done as the other two.

Steven

Dang.

Sadness. :(

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pardon my stupid question but is it possible to gut the stratos on a 362 like a 261?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steven

Just sell them and buy a new Ver II (ported) through Randy. Trust me, he can make em run! I have a M Tron Ver I he did. I like it a lot.

And then he did that 261 Ver II ...

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just sell them and buy a new Ver II (ported) through Randy. Trust me, he can make em run! I have a M Tron Ver I he did. I like it a lot.

And then he did that 261 Ver II ...

That may be a option down the road.

Steven