Ms361c to ms361

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
1:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guys, how complicated is changing the toolless tensioner to a standard set up?

Is it just a case of removing the central bar stud. Using two normal ones, getting a tensioner and a standard clutch cover?

Picked up a 361c yesterday that is in good working clean order.IMG_5895.jpgIMG_5896.jpgIMG_5897.jpgIMG_5898.jpg

Cheers in advance!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Common scenario to find a clean one, as mostly no one who runs a saw hard would ever buy the quick tensioner.

I’m 99% sure you’ll need to swap out the PTO side case half, or the entire case if a matching half isn’t located.

The C case isn’t cast/machined for the standard 2 stud bar mount and tensioner, as far as I have read/been told.

Good luck.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that’s a nightmare... thought as much but wasn’t sure. Damn.

I’ll be flipping it then.

I’m sure a leisurely firewood user will want it..

Cheers as always for the advice

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I held it in my hands shook it around a bit and started it up.... subsequently I fell in love and bought a new crankcase, oem chain tensioner and studs and a new clutch cover.. I’ll see what comes of it....

Oops is all I can say.

I’m astonished at how well balanced it feels with an 18” bar on it.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
5:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Well I held it in my hands shook it around a bit and started it up.... subsequently I fell in love and bought a new crankcase, oem chain tensioner and studs and a new clutch cover.. I’ll see what comes of it....

Oops is all I can say.

I’m astonished at how well balanced it feels with an 18” bar on it.
Can you please post a pic of the bar pad area for reference?

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you please post a pic of the bar pad area for reference?

Will do, from looking the other day its definitely not compatible. The adjust slot is just a blank slot on the ‘c’ case. No pocket in the casting to put the actual adjust gearing etc. I’ll get a snap of it all when I get a chance.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think I can make something of this without having to put a new case in. Existing bolt holes match clutch cover of a normal 361. Tensioner slot probs needs elongating and squaring off at the ends and a machine screw of some sort needs to be put into the central hole with sealant to stop the oil escaping before pocketing it out to match the current tensioner screw area. Either way I’m gonna try this route just because I like to tinker. If all else fails I’ll just use the case I’ve ordered or if it’s a winner I’ll send the case back.. IMG_5994.JPG

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like it would be a lot easier to set it up for a front tensioner, like the early 024 AV.

GlocknStihl

Derelict OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've converted my 180's away from the tooless adjuster. Is the 361 made differently? All I had to do was get the normal chain adjuster, and change out the stubby rear bar stud for a full bar stud.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes! I never thought of this. So still from the front. What tensioner should I look for? An 038, 024, 026, 044?? I like this idea. And I could just get new studs and a new front plate. Everything else looks like it will be a winner!! I’m excited now! Plus apart from the hassle of tensioning at the front I think they are more robust. Cheers for the thought!

GlocknStihl

Derelict OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes! I never thought of this. So still from the front. What tensioner should I look for? An 038, 024, 026, 044?? I like this idea. And I could just get new studs and a new front plate. Everything else looks like it will be a winner!! I’m excited now! Plus apart from the hassle of tensioning at the front I think they are more robust. Cheers for the thought!

An 028/038 tensioner just lays down in the slot. Nothing holds it in.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you end up having to change case halves see if the same crank is used. IIRC when I looked in to doing this on a 270 I got the crank was different