Ms290 rebuild on the cheap

Brian Webster

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad gave me his blown 290 to work on so I decided to give one of the chinese rebuild kits a try and see how it holds up. Kit was a HIPA kit off amazon and was 45 shipped.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019...a_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VFHSBPXEWD1P2NQC66BC

Installed the kit yesterday. The cylinder is a farmertec and looked pretty good. Not the fit and finish you'd get with an oem cylinder but nothing that would effect function. I took about 30 minutes and cleaned up some burrs and sanded down the exhaust port because it was a little rough.

The piston looks good to me and installed easily on the factory rod, i used the e-clips that came with the kit. The bearings were actually smoother than I expected so I used them to see how they hold up. They also installed easily on the factory shaft. Seals looked up to the task and everything on that end went fine.

Now for the extra fuel kit that came with it. It's pretty much junk and I wasn't impressed with any of it. The oil filter didn't even fit the supplied oil line and the fuel line was a joke. I fited the fuel line just to see and as others have said it kinked, its not even useful as a spare line. The air filter matetial is very thin. I used the spark plug, fuel filter and air filter out of the kit and the rest went in the trash.

I'm very happy with the p&c, we will see how the bearings hold up. The saw is running like a champ after a nice break in period today. I think the fuel kit only added about 5 dollars to the price paid for esentially a plug, fuel filter and air filter.

If i was doing it again I'd get the same kit and just know the lines are all junk. I'll get some pictures up when I can.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never use the aftermarket lines for this series saw. Your experience is common.
Keep us posted on how the long term use of the parts works out.
I've used the farmertech kits in the 039/MS390 realm -- thus far very good results!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you go with a 290 kit or the 390 kit?

Brian Webster

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a 390 kit, 49mm, the 290 is 46mm, and i think the 310 is 47mm

Also had the decomp hole like most 390s

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey glad it all worked out for ya.... I put a complete engine assembly in a ms180 as an experiment myself.... I am also curious as to how long they will last.... How has the saw been running for you... Does it have noticeably more power than the regular ms290....

Brian Webster

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw runs great, only have one tank through it so far. Starting it is a little different, it never really gives me that first hit, i just have to kick the choke up after 4 pulls then it fires on the 2nd or 3rd after that. It runs good, honestly don't know about the power as it wasn't my saw before and it had been years since I used it.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw runs great, only have one tank through it so far. Starting it is a little different, it never really gives me that first hit, i just have to kick the choke up after 4 pulls then it fires on the 2nd or 3rd after that. It runs good, honestly don't know about the power as it wasn't my saw before and it had been years since I used it.
Well it will get stronger as it breaks in too... Please let me/us know how it goes.... I know I will let people know if and when my Chinese engine last....

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
8:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm... The 390 P/C kits usually call for a decomp valve because the 390 has one. I had to drill a hole into the plastic shroud so that I could use the decomp. Is that what you did?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most guys just plug it up.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most guys just plug it up.
That's what I probably should have done, but I had no idea what the compression was going to be like. I would have needed it had the compression been about the same as my 361, 046, and 660. Turns out it wasn't so bad. I can usually start it without pressing the valve down.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Post up a video. Let's see how this runs. Lol

BigRed96

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My dad gave me his blown 290 to work on so I decided to give one of the chinese rebuild kits a try and see how it holds up. Kit was a HIPA kit off amazon and was 45 shipped.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019...a_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VFHSBPXEWD1P2NQC66BC

Installed the kit yesterday. The cylinder is a farmertec and looked pretty good. Not the fit and finish you'd get with an oem cylinder but nothing that would effect function. I took about 30 minutes and cleaned up some burrs and sanded down the exhaust port because it was a little rough.

The piston looks good to me and installed easily on the factory rod, i used the e-clips that came with the kit. The bearings were actually smoother than I expected so I used them to see how they hold up. They also installed easily on the factory shaft. Seals looked up to the task and everything on that end went fine.

Now for the extra fuel kit that came with it. It's pretty much junk and I wasn't impressed with any of it. The oil filter didn't even fit the supplied oil line and the fuel line was a joke. I fited the fuel line just to see and as others have said it kinked, its not even useful as a spare line. The air filter matetial is very thin. I used the spark plug, fuel filter and air filter out of the kit and the rest went in the trash.

I'm very happy with the p&c, we will see how the bearings hold up. The saw is running like a champ after a nice break in period today. I think the fuel kit only added about 5 dollars to the price paid for esentially a plug, fuel filter and air filter.

If i was doing it again I'd get the same kit and just know the lines are all junk. I'll get some pictures up when I can.
I learned my lesson with aftermarket fuel lines. 3 of the last 4 I got were junk. What rings did you use? I put Caber in every saw I put together. Despite that my saw would only blow 130 after break in but ran great. I was very happy with it and just sold it after almost two years of use for a value of $350 dollars pho. I plugged the the compression release hole as well. Your Dad should be happy with it. My saw sometimes stay out at my Dads house and he would pick it up and use it before he grabbed his stock MS290.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hows that saw running?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an MS 290 that runs well. I also have three 028 Supers that also run well. When I want Wood Boss with an 18" bar, I ignore the 290 and pick up one of my 028 Supers. They never fail.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks and would you say its running stronger than a 290?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A tree-removal company just gave me a Stihl 029 to restore. The machine screw holding the right side of the handle to the case was missing. I replaced that and have no idea how it vanished.

The tank vent tube was missing, so it was leaking fuel. I replaced that. The saw needed a complete wipe down and clean up. I did that. Carb needed a tune up. I did that.

This saw runs today the same way it did in 2003. Not sure what the difference is between this saw and an MS 290.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. They are a good, strong saw.