SOLD MS280 Brand New!

Trader history (0)

blueberrymuzik

Lesser Known OPE Member
Local time
8:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Here's one for the record books- yesterday I bought a non-running MS280 that came from a pallet of saws this guy had purchased from a Stihl dealer. Everything else on the pallet appeared to be pretty well over the hill. This 280 caught my eye because it was in such good condition. He said the dealer told him it would fire when choked, then run for 1 second after the lever was moved to fast idle. It wouldn't do any more until choked again.

It was pretty well covered with dust from setting on a shelf somewhere for several years. When I got it home and got the covers off, I realized that it has never been in wood. Apparently the dealer had problems with it out of the box, and never got it going. There is a blemish on the sprocket spur that indicates they must have had a chain on it a one time, but very obviously not for long. By the way, the sticker in the handle shows a date of birth as 01/09. This is an early m-tronic unit (I guess this was called IEM- Intelligent Engine Management).

Here is what I found as the problem. Since the saw would pull in enough fuel to burble when choked, I figured that it had to be a problem associated with the impulse circuit. I looked at the impulse line and saw that it has been replaced at some time during the troubleshooting by the dealer. I pulled and disassembled the carb and examined every piece, looking for any potential problem. It was immaculate. Then, I turned my attention to the intake manifold. There it was- when I looked very carefully, I saw that the impulse hole in the intake boot did not fit properly over the impulse port in the handle. It was such a bad mismatch, that none of the impulse was making it through. I pulled the intake boot off, thinking that it must be an aftermarket part. It was OEM all the way. I used a hand held paper punch to slightly enlarge the hole so that the impulse could make it to the carb. As soon as I put it back together, the saw fired right up and runs like a new one should.

Externally, the saw has accumulated a fair amount of dust sitting on a shelf. I have removed most of it. Out of curiosity, I pulled the spark plug and checked the compression- it showed 170# on my gauge. I've always wondered what a new saw would register.

I am asking $350 plus shipping for it. PHO

IMG_2768.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2772.JPG
    IMG_2772.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2774.JPG
    IMG_2774.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2782.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 86