High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MS261CM vs. 545 AT... converting a Husky user to Stihl?

Stackowood

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
100_8932.JPG 100_8933.JPG 100_8934.JPG

Picked up a new MS261CM (new version) yesterday and wanted to point out some things I like. I'm comparing to a Husky 545 since I don't have a 550xp, and have owned 3 of the 545 as well as 555.

Power- I'm not into stopwatch cuts and did not run them side-by-side, but Stihl's marketing people publish a little higher HP number so for now we'll assume they are right.

Weight- new 545 bone dry never fueled, and MS261 with fluids drained (PUO), both weigh in at 10.8 lbs on my highly accurate Target digital bathroom scale. We'll call it even on weight. The 545 looks and feels slightly smaller.

Starting- no primer on the MS261! Good. Starts right up cold, idles steady, revs right away, seamless. On the Husky AT saws I have owned they are cold-blooded and do some stumbling before they warm up.

WOT - the Husky AT saws seem to take a bit to tune in, even if you just ran the saw a week ago. The 261 didn't need any time to figure itself out and run to full RPM.

You Stihl guys might be finally converting me over, at least for the 50cc range. Need to get a few more hours on it though! I'm impressed so far.

Stackowood

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good point. NO. The 261 manual has 2 pages explaining how to use flip-off caps

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flippy caps are the chainsaw world's IQ test.

All flippy caps are not equally awful. Some models are less awful other than being unnecessary, over engineered, complicated, expensive and prone to failure. My neighbor has a Stihl pole saw and as many times as I have used it, seldom can one get a cap installed in less than a minute, often more. And don't tell me I am not smarter than a flippy cap, these things on this particular model are POS's and yes they have been replaced when they break which is frequently.

Funny, I have never required instruction on a threaded fuel cap other than "Righty tighty, lefty loosy".

Stackowood

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The new control lever is nice, but the Husky control makes more sense. Down for OFF. Now I'm just picking at details.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On paper both saws are clearly in the same saw class, weight, power etc. But owning both a 550xp and ms261 they are very different animals to use. Both have advantages & disadvantages. I like the fact they have different personalities, we would have nothing to fight about if they were the same. I think the ultimate 50cc saw would be a combination of both saws. I have never considered selling either.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I just bought a 261 also. The section in the manual about the floppy caps was hilarious. I meant to post it up here, but forgot. Seriously, I wish someone at stihl would have pointed out that if the gol-darned cap needs that much instruction for proper operation, it's too complicated.