High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Ms261 sprocket bearing fix

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I've had far too many ms261's come to the shop recently with the owner saying that when they put the brake on the saw cuts out. As some will know there is a fault with the early 261's with regard to lubrication of the sprocket bearing from factory and also the heat treating of the cranks. The result is that the bearing wears a groove in the crank, causing too much slop in the sprocket, and can even start letting it cut into the oil pump.

Previously I'd either told the customer it needs a new crank if it was really bad, or torn it down or parts. However I've gotten sick of tearing down perfectly good saws, so a fix was in order.

I was doing some reading and found that McCulloch used an oil filled bronze bushing on some of their saws in place of a sprocket bearing, so I set about finding myself the right product. I ended up with an oilite sintered bronze bushing, cost 1.50 each.

Mac sprocket with bushing installed
image.jpeg

They're designed to be a tight running fit, so they immediately take up the slop of a needle bearing. Here's some pics, this saw will be getting a month of hard work and will then be torn in bits to see what the bronze is like.

IMG_3958.JPG

IMG_3957.JPG
I immediately noticed how little slop there was on the sprocket, and the saw now runs and idles fine. Also the bushing won't be doing anything unless the saw is idling, so I'm not overly concerned as no matter what happens the soft sintered bronze can't damage the crank (any more).

Even if it only lasts a month, It'll be a practice I'll start adopting for some of my customers and my own work 261, as I can deal with 1.50 and 5 minutes work once a month.

Last edited:

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
3:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good idea. Hope it works ok. Them bushi g would be a lot cheaper then the last 15 dollar nerdle bearig i got for my saw

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Exactly my thinking, plus this saw wouldn't even take a brand new bearing, it was too far gone. Whereas with the bush the slop was massively reduced. I'll keep you updated how it fares

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
At least I'm not the only one seeing all the bad cranks. I asked about this problem a couple years ago and didn't get anywhere. Stihl blamed user error/abuse. And consensus on AS was the same.

Keep us updated on how this holds up.... Seems we replace 1-2 cranks a month for this exact problem so a cheaper solution would be welcomed.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
At least I'm not the only one seeing all the bad cranks. I asked about this problem a couple years ago and didn't get anywhere. Stihl blamed user error/abuse. And consensus on AS was the same.

Keep us updated on how this holds up.... Seems we replace 1-2 cranks a month for this exact problem so a cheaper solution would be welcomed.

No it's definitely not just you, over 50% of the 261's I see are showing signs of wear on the crank, way more than any other model I've come across.

Obviously some customers won't want this option, but I'm sure most would welcome the idea. If it holds up well I'll start fitting them before the problem occurs

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Bad news on the bushing, its already worn enough to cause noticeable slop. However i seem to have another fix as a last ditch attempt to save this crank.

Ive sourced some 9.5mm ID 13mm OD thats a good quality metal caged bearing. The plan is to run the saw with some fine emery cloth on the end of the crank just enough to allow me to get the bearing over it. The extra .5mm I'm hoping will take up enough slack in the drum whilst still affording the E-clip enough grip on the shaft.

Not something I'd do for a customers saw, but hey its my own saw and I'm experimenting.

I did cure a customers saw last week with a metal caged bearing made to tighter tolerances than the factory bearings, and with a good dollop of assembly grease to halt the damage it seems to have removed just enough slop to cure the clutch fouling on the drum

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whats the best grease to use? What about Red n Tachy? It is good for high heat, high rpm applications.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you to be honest, i use an assembly grease from work but i cant remember the make, it says on the tub that its good for bearings and Ive never had a problem with it. I'd imagine any good quality assembly grease should do the trick

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. Thank you sir.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
we use cenpeco or lucas xtra heavy duty(green in color) on everything here in the shop but it really shouldnt matter much what you use because that bearing is only "working" when the saw is idling