Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
6:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
good Morning guys,,

I’ve got a ms 211 that I could do with improving the running/power characteristics it has.
I saw a video on here, that ran very well, but I can’t remember who it was.

I would Ideally just a like to do a slight muff mod and slight carb/intake mod .. but not too loud ;)

Could anyone point me in the right direction with the finer details of what’s best way to proceed.

Cheers

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
good Morning guys,,

I’ve got a ms 211 that I could do with improving the running/power characteristics it has.
I saw a video on here, that ran very well, but I can’t remember who it was.

I would Ideally just a like to do a slight muff mod and slight carb/intake mod .. but not too loud ;)

Could anyone point me in the right direction with the finer details of what’s best way to proceed.

Cheers
I bet the vid is of @rogue60 Stihl ms 211. Should be in the "throwaway saw" thread.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, i was following that thread but as always, either I never got a notification, or I just missed it as I may have been busy reading other threads.

So I’ve just been reading it a little more....it shows some good pics and vids and in other places...words like I can’t remember what I did to it... :rolleyes: :risas3:
http://opeforum.com/threads/throwaway-saw.16812/page-4#post-888562

However, it’s somewhere to start. Cheers.:)

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, i was following that thread but as always, either I never got a notification, or I just missed it as I may have been busy reading other threads.

So I’ve just been reading it a little more....it shows some good pics and vids and in other places...words like I can’t remember what I did to it... :rolleyes: :risas3:
http://opeforum.com/threads/throwaway-saw.16812/page-4#post-888562

However, it’s somewhere to start. Cheers.:)
Lol yeah my memory isn't what it used to be I did the mods to that saw in 2012.
For the muff I only opened the outlet a little nothing crazy like a few millimeters it will still take a spark screen.
On the inside of the muffler it has a tube I cut a hole in that as you can just see in the pics (not easy to get a pic of).
Did it make it louder yes but not to bad I'm not a fan of gutted gargling over done muff mods on saw's.
20191008_112538.jpg 20191008_111252.jpg 20191008_111320.jpg

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to keep this saw looking and sounding as a standard joe firewood saw, well as much as possible.;)

I had noticed that the muff is sealed and was wondering if I’d just do it drilling a hole from the back side, I pretty sure it’s not got a cat,,
But how big to make it I guess a 3/8 or about (9mm) just like mustangmike does.
I’ve done it to my 026 and it makes a deeper tone,

We don't have spark screens here. I’ve looked at the exhaust outlet and it’s tiny compared to the other versions. I guess I will be making it slightly oval as the deflector is in the way.

I’ve got to get some wood and vid few test cuts before I make any mods. So this will be a working progress thread..

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I got out today and pick up some wood, it was a bit wet and windy. However, I gave the chain a sharpen and got the Before vid of the stock 211. 14” bar. I didn’t lean on it at all (maybe I should have on one cut) hindsight :rolleyes:
the small wood is London plane (green) and the big is horse chestnut, I think.( been cut down 6months)

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I got out today and pick up some wood, it was a bit wet and windy. However, I gave the chain a sharpen and got the Before vid of the stock 211. 14” bar. I didn’t lean on it at all (maybe I should have on one cut) hindsight :rolleyes:
the small wood is London plane (green) and the big is horse chestnut, I think.( been cut down 6months)

I remember mine stock I was impressed by the torque for such a little saw.
What chain are you running is it new why is it cutting so crooked? maybe the bar needs to be dressed if it's a new chain?
or is it just the angle of the camera that makes it look like it's cutting crooked on the little log?.

I gave mine a run today needed a little firewood thanks to a cold change for this weekend it's ment to be spring here and warming up the weather is all over the place.

As you can hear in the vid it ran heaps better when I put fresh fuel in it, the fuel in the tank was a month or two old and stale.

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The chain is some Oregon 3/8 lopro 1.3mm with those bumper drive links. It’s just what I had.
I don’t think it’s cutting crooked, I think it was the vid making it look that way.

I did sharpen it and check all the rakers, which were all set at the std height.
I don’t want to play around with the chain again, well not till I’ve tinkered around inside a bit and get some more cuts in the same wood to compare.
Here's a couple of pics of the chain, and the exhaust hole,, it’s tiny
6C3039E7-344A-46F1-8A6F-59963D35E07B.jpeg 7695DA0E-F924-4014-8252-995310F993FA.jpeg 91B34021-7CE5-4614-85C8-5A254EFDE597.jpeg
Edit; the angle of the last pic make the tooth look Wierd

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The chain is some Oregon 3/8 lopro 1.3mm with those bumper drive links. It’s just what I had.
I don’t think it’s cutting crooked, I think it was the vid making it look that way.

I did sharpen it and check all the rakers, which were all set at the std height.
I don’t want to play around with the chain again, well not till I’ve tinkered around inside a bit and get some more cuts in the same wood to compare.
Here's a couple of pics of the chain, and the exhaust hole,, it’s tiny
View attachment 202938 View attachment 202939 View attachment 202940
Edit; the angle of the last pic make the tooth look Wierd
Yeah I think it was just the angle of the camera made it look like it was cutting crooked on the little log as it seemed to cut nice and straight on the big log.
It sounds and looks to be running good! and yes pics are deseving everything on the ms211 is so little, after opening up my muff outlet on mine it's still only like 15×11millimeters! Lol the main intake port on these is under 15mm round.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well where to start...?????? Any suggestions
Although I do know one thing,,,, I’ve still got some transfer to clean up. I brought the saw as a non runner, someone straight gassed it. It hasn’t been run much since I attempted to clean it up..:rolleyes: but I’m glad I have gone back into it
9A7D5804-C112-45C1-857A-85F4CA79EAAD.jpeg 8B38AE15-D713-40EB-ABE9-2ABE5270B796.jpeg
546496B4-F869-4EBF-A3ED-95AE3F3699CC.jpeg 43C5D711-0BB7-490D-94C4-5260C2E92923.jpeg

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I’ve been playing on this rainy day.. I can’t say much about the clean up job I did before... I think it’s passed it’s best.. I guess it’s nealy time for another jug..:(

Anyhow. I’ve gotta Learn and test my learning, so moving on I’ve inlarged the exhaust outlet a little, about 3mm all round. I can talke more but when it’s gone I can’t put it back.

And I’ve opened the transfers in the case to improve flow. I haven’t widened the intake, but may do at a later date.
Oh, my drill attachments were not really long enough, and were a bit big.
Here’s a few pics.
83B5932C-BE88-4604-A77A-9ED17EBBDAAF.jpeg 30C99E61-90BB-4A6F-B1C0-A2E79E9AA703.jpeg

CBF679EE-D3B8-4EDB-87DF-012CC71C643B.jpeg

It’s on it’s way back together, so hopefully tomorrow, I may get it in some of that wood. To compare cuts unstuffs

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well where to start...?????? Any suggestions
Although I do know one thing,,,, I’ve still got some transfer to clean up. I brought the saw as a non runner, someone straight gassed it. It hasn’t been run much since I attempted to clean it up..:rolleyes: but I’m glad I have gone back into it
View attachment 203289 View attachment 203288
View attachment 203290 View attachment 203291
That's not a ms211 cylinder sorry to say.
You look to have a ms171 or ms181 cylinder on your hands measure the piston to know which one you have.
Ms211 piston is 40mm and the transfers are meant to look like this one in each corner.
images (15).jpeg

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it’s back together now, so it’s a bit hard to measure the piston.

However, I got it as a non runner, from the guy that brought it brand new, then lent it to someone who straight gassed it, I brought a new piston and tried my best to clean it up..I can’t remember what size the piston was... but it fitted.. it’s been a few yrs now so it not in my eBay buying list..

What I remember, is there are two types of 211..

The saw did not perform any better with what I did. So I shall get in and widen the intake .

One other thing I noticed while cutting, I think it’s got a limited coil

If I don’t get much joy in cutting speeds/ touque.. although I haven’t advanced the timing yet. I need to rethink of what or where to go next.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it’s back together now, so it’s a bit hard to measure the piston.

However, I got it as a non runner, from the guy that brought it brand new, then lent it to someone who straight gassed it, I brought a new piston and tried my best to clean it up..I can’t remember what size the piston was... but it fitted.. it’s been a few yrs now so it not in my eBay buying list..

What I remember, is there are two types of 211..

The saw did not perform any better with what I did. So I shall get in and widen the intake .

One other thing I noticed while cutting, I think it’s got a limited coil

If I don’t get much joy in cutting speeds/ touque.. although I haven’t advanced the timing yet. I need to rethink of what or where to go next.
No wrong IMHO as far as I know there is only one ms211 40mm cylinder.
But if one was to look on eBay you get lots of adds claiming that there 38mm aftermarket cylinder and piston kit suits ms171 ms181 ms211.
I'd bet money on you have a 38mm cylinder (ms181) the dark colored cylinder is the giveaway someone has changed cylinders somewhere along the way? the only remaining ms211 part is the shiny silver sump/pan?.
As far as mods go I'm not much help as the mods I did/do are not the norm I just make it up as I go along with the engine parts in front of me.
You have seen the pics of the mods I did to mine I pretty much left all port timing stock and just did a few mods in other areas..
I do know my ms211 does not have any timing advance I left that be.
As for tuning I found the ms211 a PITA to tune, not an easy saw to tune after mods and the limiter tabs are cut.
It's odd people that own one you will know what I mean as far as tuning goes.

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes.... I agree.. the only way is I by measuring the piston, and maybe some stihl dealer confirming it’s a stihl cylinder or not.. (what’s the p in the circle all about, at first glance I thou it was a F [farmatec] ) but I know no different at the time.
the time/date thing ectched into it made me think it was original, all thou no stihl mark.? but that’s what you get buying a non runner ;)

I’ve read many times here, a porter can give you the numbers to port but it will not run the same..

I know The boss here,,,,, has done simular things to the intake /strats to other saws. ie, drilling holes as in what you did to yours.. and i know it’s little gains here and there that all add up. I'm just playing around ;):cool:..

I will get into the saw again soon. As well as up load the vid to youtube that I took, the exhaust does sound a bit louder :D:rolleyes:...

Watch this place :polutxoso:

Cheers.:)

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 203930 View attachment 203931

You can see the slight enlargement of exhaust.

The build date on base of cylinder in post 10 2nd pic, sort of corresponds to the break flag sticker.
Edit: this is what I was referring to, when I said I thought there were two types of cylinders.
https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Ms211+cylinder+&x=10&y=10
I see what you mean with the cylinders one seems to be based on the same cylinder design as the ms181 but is 40mm
Completely different to the cylinder on my ms211 interesting to know there isn't much information out there about these saw's as no one mods them being homeowner saws and not pro saws.

It seems to be running good in the vid you opened the exhaust outlet heaps more than I did on mine.
What are you going to try next advance the timing? If yours picks up some with timing advance I'll try it on mine aswell.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Wonkydonkey @rogue60
There seems to be 2 sorts of cylinder that have been used on the 211...both 40mm but 1 has side differences and a different intake to the other one. here are some pics that should help figure things out .

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 15.37.28.png Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 15.37.55.png Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 15.38.17.png

You can see the side and intake variables on the side by side pic..... cylinder design is age related i would suggest.