MS201T C

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just some assembly pics for those that want them.
a3706af109686539a9cc644ab66a81c2.jpg
660dd27508ebf3d1a3ed6326d320065d.jpg
d43abad05be3b4cf094ad605ada50285.jpg
4526d60c5c4ea7e5a6ce6b3a0f84ed19.jpg
4fc3744eb65456ad15967b52d87d4fd7.jpg
8db3757b3b2e8b70e0a084af491c65f8.jpg
c39d1bd4185f0454bdcd98389335a1ee.jpg

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jimmy , that coil will have to be set up (I believe) with the MDG1 after it’s installed. Didn’t think of it until now.

No! It`s not the newer one with m-tronic v.3.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw cranked fine at 28°F this AM. Runs and cuts. Could not get it to go through a relearn. As it warmed it acted real rich. I had a hunch and called a good friend. He confirmed and told me to replace the solenoid.

A quick call to the local dealer and I got "We have never sold one of those" ... well what is the price? "99.95"

I told them to hold up a minute...

Quick search here says that solenoid is under warranty if that coil was. I will have to wait until the OPE manager is back next week so I can talk to him. I will order a new white solenoid and a new orange fuel filter at that point. We are real close. Saw certainly cranks and runs now...that is good.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’re going down the same path I did Jimmy. I messed around inside the original coil (with the tester) trying to get it to relearn before I replaced it. Once running it was pig rich, replacing the solenoid fixed it. It was necessary to reset the saw after with the MDG1 in my case before getting it successfully thru a recalibration. You know, I’ve been reading that the M-Tronic 201 is making a name for itself.
Yet I still see beat up 200’s and 020T’s bringing almost $600 at suction. I’ve run them both side by side and I think they are both awesome saws. Sound different ,but both rev to 14k and have what feels to me as the same torque. I’m not a tree climber so I don’t know what they’re seeing.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’re going down the same path I did Jimmy. I messed around inside the original coil (with the tester) trying to get it to relearn before I replaced it. Once running it was pig rich, replacing the solenoid fixed it. It was necessary to reset the saw after with the MDG1 in my case before getting it successfully thru a recalibration. You know, I’ve been reading that the M-Tronic 201 is making a name for itself.
Yet I still see beat up 200’s and 020T’s bringing almost $600 at suction. I’ve run them both side by side and I think they are both awesome saws. Sound different ,but both rev to 14k and have what feels to me as the same torque. I’m not a tree climber so I don’t know what they’re seeing.
Having been into both at this point I feel the 201 is better constructed. I like that the intake bolts on as opposed to a plastic sleeve holding it on of the 200. I feel like the carb box is easier to work in than the 200. I really like the spring AV with cable limiters in them on the 201. I also feel if working properly the electronic tuning is great in a tree on a small saw.

That being said I think there is a whole lot going on in the coil. Manufacturers cannot see all the problems until something is put into the field and the consumer helps sort it out. The fact that Stihl is standing behind a bunch of these parts is top notch in my opinion. The lack of education by their dealer network is disappointing. A couple of questions when someone asks for an Mtronic part should be able to lead them into warranty or not very quickly. Instead what I hear everytime I call about availability of an Mtronic part is "We have never sold one of those." I always respond the same way "You cannot sell it if you do not have it but I did not ask if you had sold one before...I need one today."

The further lack of education at dealers shows up with this saw I have in my hands. For those that do not know most of a MS201 is M4 screws vs M5. I had to put 3 inserts in on this saw from other ham handed mechanics and replace 2 of the screws. The intake partition in the back of the carb missing...the spark plug lead retainer missing... wiring run improperly. The standard mechanic that is at most dealers will not cut it as these types of systems come in more and more. They will either get better or the consumer will pay the price more and more.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jimmy, if your dealer won’t warranty the solenoid have him look up a “service kit” for one of the other Mtronic saws. Solenoid is the same for ALL Mtronic saws. Should save a couple of bucks. @Redbull661 had a thread on them a week or two ago

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t even think warranty when I was working it out on my saw. In fact, I bought another BLACK solenoid off the bay ($40) to fix mine. Runs to 14,100 rpm. But technically, all the work I did to my saw should have been covered by warranty as it’s less than two years old (even being dropped from a tree). They probably wouldn’t have covered the broken handle but I think a reasonable dealer would still have covered the emissions related parts. Anyway, man, good luck!

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, Jimmy
What’s up?
The saw that I fixed up is now riding in my truck behind the seat. Have used it once to clear the road. It did not disappoint.