Ms170 carb

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright guys, I started playing with this little 170 I got really cheap at a yard sale awhile back. Everything looks good (other than being sun faded) I went ahead and rebuild the carb since the guy at the yard sale couldn’t remember the last time it had ran. Of course it’s the non adjustable carb. It’ll pop off on a prime but want run after carb rebuild. My question is what is the screw I have the red arrow pointing at and what does it do?? F51A7B69-E448-40AA-9313-E08DD5ABDAE3.jpeg

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What is wrong with the carb that you have?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
4:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Does the plug come out wet or dry after you try starting it on choke?
Bad crank seals won't let the motor pull fuel with the choke on and will only fire when primed with mix. Walbro WT carbs were made with 2 different types of metering diaphragms, one with a long contact and the other has a little bump. The short one used on the wrong carb will struggle to open the fuel flow.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I
Does the plug come out wet or dry after you try starting it on choke?
Bad crank seals won't let the motor pull fuel with the choke on and will only fire when primed with mix. Walbro WT carbs were made with 2 different types of metering diaphragms, one with a long contact and the other has a little bump. The short one used on the wrong carb will struggle to open the fuel flow.

It’s dry

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
May I ask, what did you pay for that Stihl MS 170 a the yard sale? One of my good friends has an MS 180 in very good condition and wants to sell it.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then you aren’t pulling fuel. Got a plugged jet in there somewhere. Or bad impulse. Or bad seals like Jim said.
Could also be wrong kit. Did you compare diaphragms before installing?
I didn’t compare them no. Didn’t get to mess with it this afternoon. To much else going on

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m gonna try again to get it running with original carb then do the swap. Probably do a pressure test also. Thanks for yalls help so far.