Ms038 possable air leak

species8472

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Friend got me to have a look at his 038 said it was hard to start. Cleaned out air cleaner and got it running sort of. Gave it a rev and thought what the hell.
turned the high setting back to 1 turn out to start again and this happened. Air leak? Goes from pig rich to screaming its head off.

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That don’t sound good,

The only real way to determine an air leak is to test it.
when you say you cleaned out the air filter, has it ingested saw dust. if it has done, it may have been eating it for some time.

While setting up for a pressure test I,d have a good look at the piston & cylinder,

Does it have good compression?

But havin said all this it just maybe the carb,

I'll be subscribing to this o_O

Cheers

Edit: I can’t help thinking I can hear some sort of knocking at lower rev/ tick over

species8472

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That don’t sound good,

The only real way to determine an air leak is to test it.
when you say you cleaned out the air filter, has it ingested saw dust. if it has done, it may have been eating it for some time.

While setting up for a pressure test I,d have a good look at the piston & cylinder,

Does it have good compression?

But havin said all this it just maybe the carb,

I'll be subscribing to this o_O

Cheers

Edit: I can’t help thinking I can hear some sort of knocking at lower rev/ tick over
Air filter wasn't to bad. When I get a saw its the first thing I do. Compression is very good. P and C look good just checked intake and impulse good.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
11:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Friend got me to have a look at his 038 said it was hard to start. Cleaned out air cleaner and got it running sort of. Gave it a rev and thought what the hell.
turned the high setting back to 1 turn out to start again and this happened. Air leak? Goes from pig rich to screaming its head off.
Put a carb kit in it
Most likely there isnt any air leak, as it returns to idle very nicely
Chances are that its just not getting enough fuel into the intake, probably from a stiff carb diaphragm

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
11:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put a carb kit in it
Most likely there isnt any air leak, as it returns to idle very nicely
Chances are that its just not getting enough fuel into the intake, probably from a stiff carb diaphragm
This ^^^^ plus I'd be changing the fuel filter. Might not be a bad idea to check out the condition of the fuel line while you have the carb off.