ms 462

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I could be the first to get it on my hands. However i ll let it roll some months... at lesst that’s what i m forcing myself to do.

January is very very close I still cannot control my mind.

Eventually i ll get it one way or another

What do you guys think the price tag will be on a 500 ?

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
4:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you made any changes to it or is it still stock
Just ground back the baffle, opened up the outlet back in behind the deflector and changed the screen to a much more open weave.

It then refused to start and needed a full re calibration.
I am happy with it as is for firewood duty. Myself and a couple friends agree that in this trim it is up there with a ported 044.
One thing I have learnt here in Aus is that American porting numbers dont work in our hardwood.
Saws need to be ported differently here. Speed and RPM is not the winner, broader power band and torque to haul a small sprocket at modest RPM is what we need in super dense hard timber that will melt the tungsten tips out of Stihl chain if you run it too fast. Trust me I have seen it happen

I was interested in what Mr Monkey was doing but wouldn't follow it here in Australia.
I would love to know what basic changes produced more torque like what movements in transfer or what was dont to intake and exhaust porting but I understand if Scott keeps this to him self, He sure wont reply to any PM I ever send him :)
I have been told on here many times that timber is timber and it wont make a difference but I bet if you put that 28 or 32" bar on your 70cc saw into solid dry ironbark or yellowbox here in Australia, you would be looking for that 20" bar after 1 cut if your not already curled up in the fetal position.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just ground back the baffle, opened up the outlet back in behind the deflector and changed the screen to a much more open weave.

I am happy with it as is for firewood duty. Myself and a couple friends agree that in this trim it is up there with a ported 044.
One thing I have learnt here in Aus is that American porting numbers dont work in our hardwood.
Saws need to be ported differently here. Speed and RPM is not the winner, broader power band and torque to haul a small sprocket at modest RPM is what we need in super dense hard timber that will melt the tungsten tips out of Stihl chain if you run it too fast. Trust me I have seen it happen

I was interested in what Mr Monkey was doing but wouldn't follow it here in Australia.
I would love to know what basic changes produced more torque like what movements in transfer or what was dont to intake and exhaust porting but I understand if Scott keeps this to him self, He sure wont reply to any PM I ever send him :)
I have been told on here many times that timber is timber and it wont make a difference but I bet if you put that 28 or 32" bar on your 70cc saw into solid dry ironbark or yellowbox here in Australia, you would be looking for that 20" bar after 1 cut if your not already curled up in the fetal position.
You fellas down under need add on gear drive kits

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
1:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score

What percentage gains to you think you made with just the muff mod ,do think it was breathing better

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Let your dealer do the recalibration on the software if you have it modded. Regulating limits are changed doing it this way.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
12:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those are full retail prices surely. I can get a 661 VM PHO for about 1000 euros and a 462 for about 1100.

I am surprised you can get the 661 cheaper than a 462. The two 462's I bought today were significantly cheaper than a 661.

I only share those website prices as I believe it shows the market position that Stihl is targetting. I don't want anyone to believe those will be actual prices, just more the relation between different models.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as I did understand my dealer right, the fuel settings are changed. That means calibrating it like this is like tuning a carb without limiter caps. Calibrating without software is like tuning the carb with seated limiting caps, no full range availible.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am surprised you can get the 661 cheaper than a 462. The two 462's I bought today were significantly cheaper than a 661.

I only share those website prices as I believe it shows the market position that Stihl is targetting. I don't want anyone to believe those will be actual prices, just more the relation between different models.
I get you it was just a shocker to see the prices. I am guessing they don't sell a lot of 661's so they keep the price low? 661 VM witha 28 light is around 12500kr and a 462 with a 20 es light is 12900. PHO 661 VM is about 10000 and 462 10500kr. 560xp costs basically the same as a 550xp.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as I did understand my dealer right, the fuel settings are changed. That means calibrating it like this is like tuning a carb without limiter caps. Calibrating without software is like tuning the carb with seated limiting caps, no full range availible.
Weird how that works, couldn’t imagine max rpm would change. Wonder what the actual difference is.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Always remember. M-tronic has 2 regulating ways. Ignition timing and fuel flow. The maximum permissible speed is kept constant by controling the fuel air mixture and the ignition timing. With the change of the ignition timing the rpms can also be controlled, not only with the fuel flow. These 2 regulating ways work together smooth that it is mostly not noticeable by the user.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let your dealer do the recalibration on the software if you have it modded. Regulating limits are changed doing it this way.
Can the dealer program the saw to run leaner or richer? I have seen several people ask but no answer, are there stiffer AV springs available for the 462?