mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
8:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why would you want to run a 36” bar on a 70cc saw anyway:nusenuse:

We don’t cut concrete like wood so it’s not too bad. I run a 110dl bar on all my 70cc saws. They handle it just fine if the Oiler keeps up. Most of the time a 90cc saw is barely faster unless you bury the bar the whole time.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
10:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We don’t cut concrete like wood so it’s not too bad. I run a 110dl bar on all my 70cc saws. They handle it just fine if the Oiler keeps up. Most of the time a 90cc saw is barely faster unless you bury the bar the whole time.
Yeah that’s about it mate.
I run up to 30” on my 90cc saws but in dry ironbark here is Aus, I prefer to hang a 36 or 42 off my 120cc.
It’s not so much the power being a limitation, but the clutch.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive ran a 32" 105 driver 3/8 full comp setup on my ported 630 and 670 jonnys a few times. They run that setup pretty dang good for 60ish ccs. I am actually pretty impressed with how they oiled and pulled it. The way i rationalized it was a 272 is the same saw with a bigger jug so a 630/670 should do fine right? If i hadnt bought my dad a 372 i would still run that setup on those saws for the few times i needed it. The 372 is just a little more forgiving and dont have to be as careful a operator as you do when running it on the jonnys but the jonnys do just fine.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scott, I have a question. When you test the port timing with the various pistons, do you swap rings from the original piston, or use different ones?

If you do swap them, does putting them on and off pistons that many times fatigue them? Do you replace them in the end???

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the same set of rings for all the testing, I also make sure that port timing is the same with all pistons. top ring is always the top ring, same with the bottom ring. most rings are cast and easy to break, I don't think fatigue is a problem. I don't usually change rings when i'm done, but will hone the cylinder if I do.

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
8:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That remains to be seen Todd, but from what I've seen so far, there are good gains to be had from simple mods. I've been too busy yet to do any serious testing against the stock saw I have here, but.....we've got all the GTG stuff cleaned up now.

I'll be sending Reed his 462 back soon. Thankfully, I've got another 462 here that I'm going to be able to keep for about a year, and I'll be starting on my winter of weekend cutting soon. To me, that's the best testing, real working conditions.

I'll be on the hunt for another asap, I like having a stock saw for back to back comparison.

Taking the baffle completely out might not be the best idea. It's got a bazillion spot welds, and seems to be adding a lot of strength to the muffler shell.

On taking the outlet back.....there really isn't enough material there to get it back to what we are used to seeing.
Making the muffler lighter there Randy they are saving weight ,I suppose it’s gotta come from somewhere :)