Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
10:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you’re reducing primary pressure?

Guess there’s many ways to skin a cat. I see it in reverse, but you’ve got 10 times the know how.

I see less overall transfer flow and lazy primary flow, with possible Ex causing a Venturi effect, opening the secondary’s even earlier.

I wonder if a small nip in the Ex roof wouldn’t change the flow out of the port.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little JB and an hour on top of the wood stove with may answer these questions.

Intriguing stuff. Can’t wait to see what you figure out here.
gotta sleep sometime, epoxy then

Wouldn’t venting the secondaries later, not earlier, give you more initial pressure in the mains?

Am I seeing this backwards?

reducing the pressure in the primaries might reduce the turbulence

beets me, that's why we test, right

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it possible that grinding those slopped reliefs in the piston to change timing is persuading the transfer charge to flow a little more upward on initial entry? As you guys have stated, angles are crucial so maybe that angle on the piston is telling a different story than a flat piston would. Trying to consider all variables that could affect your wash pattern.

I’ve said it many times already, but thanks for this thread. It’s a lot of work to perform this R&D AND share it with us in a thread.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man it gets really hard to hear the 4stroking up that high... that last video I couldn’t hear any when you checked tune
Agree Dan.

In first vid, I saw the tach keep climbing. The way my saws do when they drain the metering area and it can’t fill fast enough.

Saws generally sound fatter to me in vids than in person. Kinda like wimmins.

I thought it sounded lean.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it possible that grinding those slopped reliefs in the piston to change timing is persuading the transfer charge to flow a little more upward on initial entry? As you guys have stated, angles are crucial so maybe that angle on the piston is telling a different story than a flat piston would. Trying to consider all variables that could affect your wash pattern.

I’ve said it many times already, but thanks for this thread. It’s a lot of work to perform this R&D AND share it with us in a thread.
That piston is moving, so I’m not sure that anything other than the actual area by the rim matters at all.

Big issue is that we tend to see a saw working one cycle at a time. In reality, it’s an entire dynamic flow. At 16k, those transfers are just flowing. I know there’s data showing backwards movement each stroke in them, but I find that hard to believe.

Every time we make a change, that entire swirling fiery cloud in that cylinder changes shape.

Friggen cool stuff.

The fun for me is the search for the answer. If someone knew it, I’m not sure I’d wanna know. The whole thing would get boring.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I like how your thinking!
Yep, it changes flow a bit. But it gets you close. Only other way is to go til it’s too far and toss the cylinder and start with a fresh one.
But the last piston he ran was the exhaust cutout, and the primaries were still lazy. Piston was flat everywhere else.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which oil are u using that’s giving wash pattern so fast?

I use Motul 800. No wash after a few tanks, none.
I stopped using Motul just for that reason. It doesn't burn completely, you won't have any carbon or wash. It seemed to lubricate well but your losing power because it's not burning

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That piston is moving, so I’m not sure that anything other than the actual area by the rim matters at all.

Big issue is that we tend to see a saw working one cycle at a time. In reality, it’s an entire dynamic flow. At 16k, those transfers are just flowing. I know there’s data showing backwards movement each stroke in them, but I find that hard to believe.

Every time we make a change, that entire swirling fiery cloud in that cylinder changes shape.

Friggen cool stuff.

The fun for me is the search for the answer. If someone knew it, I’m not sure I’d wanna know. The whole thing would get boring.
I’m one of those that sees everything as individual events, in my mind they have to happen that way but at ridiculous speeds. I see what you’re saying, but I just don’t see the transfers as just flowing even at that rpm. That’s why you’re a pro and I’m not yet. This is very fun and interesting stuff and I agree that if someone knew all the answers it wouldn’t be fun anymore.

Getting this lazy transfer entry thing sorted out is tricky business. Could be lots of things as has been discussed.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Friggen cool stuff.

transfers in a strato have to flow both ways, it's part of the intake

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there anything inside the primary transfer passage on the exhaust side causing turbulence that’s interrupting linear flow? Crazy how that charge is walking right out the exhaust.

Hope I’m not bothering anyone with my grade school line of thinking amongst pros.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m one of those that sees everything as individual events, in my mind they have to happen that way but at ridiculous speeds. I see what you’re saying, but I just don’t see the transfers as just flowing even at that rpm. That’s why you’re a pro and I’m not yet. This is very fun and interesting stuff and I agree that if someone knew all the answers it wouldn’t be fun anymore.

Getting this lazy transfer entry thing sorted out is tricky business. Could be lots of things as has been discussed.
Thanks for the compliment, but there’s nothing that makes me a pro, any more than you.