ms 461 8-pin

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey, I was just half joking with my post, but thanks, that is nice! Seems like you are really enjoying that saw!

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always liked an 8T rim on the 70cc class with a 20" bar. I ran a 20"/8T combo on my first 460. I carried a 28" with me that I could throw on it for larger stuff. I just used skip tooth and left the 8t rim on it. Worked very well for me. This saw was just muffler modded, not ported.

In my opinion, a 8T on a shorter bar makes the saw so much easier to use as a firewood saw. Cuts faster in the little stuff and you dont have to lean on it as much.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Due to my abilities 7vs8 is a wash in the video. However I like the 8 better with this 20", I'll throw the 28" or 32" bar on it and redo this when I have a bigger log.

Turn the volume down!

The saw is sitting right at 225PSI cold, timing advanced, dual port muffler, squish of 0.030. Exhaust port is around 101 degree, transfers polished but after squish was cut, the numbers was sitting about right.
I commented on your build. I bet you need to raise your transfers. I bet you're at 101/130's

You took 50 from the band and .060 from the base. Now you have more intake, less case pressure.

You need the transfers a bit above stock because of this.

Only my opinion, YMMV.

ctylerc1995

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I commented on your build. I bet you need to raise your transfers. I bet you're at 101/130's

You took 50 from the band and .060 from the base. Now you have more intake, less case pressure.

You need the transfers a bit above stock because of this.

Only my opinion, YMMV.
I believe my transfers were right at 125, and as far as the intake, yes it lacks a lot to be desired but the saw if far from being done. I'm trying to find a pressure transducer with the resolution and sample rate to allow me to measure it with a tee from the line running back to the carb so I can see what happens when I change something up.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've always liked an 8T rim on the 70cc class with a 20" bar. I ran a 20"/8T combo on my first 460. I carried a 28" with me that I could throw on it for larger stuff. I just used skip tooth and left the 8t rim on it. Worked very well for me. This saw was just muffler modded, not ported.

In my opinion, a 8T on a shorter bar makes the saw so much easier to use as a firewood saw. Cuts faster in the little stuff and you dont have to lean on it as much.
Not trying to call you out but if the chain is sharpened right, you shouldn't have to lean on it as it should be self-feeding VERY well. When I start out, mine feed great. After dancing with some Hedge, if I don't change chains every other tank then I find myself leaning on the saw(s) a bit so I understand.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Stihl 046, 460, and 461 are three of the most desirable saws that exist. I added a BBK to an 046 for a friend and he bragged about it all the time. Word got out and the saw suddenly disappeared from his garage. It was never found.

Sometimes it's best to keep a really good thing under wraps.