Plastic member
Local time
5:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Woohoo. :):)

But...Not that I,m getting one.. :rolleyes:

I,m still trying to get a basket case 044\440 oem and hybrid it prolly no doubt with a am jug:( :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It’s What’s can be afforded & be most reliable everyone’s mileages is different o_O

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tracking shows one i ordered in New York.

I like living on the edge. [emoji12]

So, do we pay special attention to the crank, cylinder and the oil pump?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear the concerns, but there are a lot of saws that would not be running if you had to get all OEM parts, especially with Stihl, it is just cost prohibitive.

And poo poo all you want, my Asian 660s have been pretty darn durable, ripping/milling etc. They owe me nothing!

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuel tank.....might leak.

Handlebar.....weak as wet paper.

Rubber parts.....deteriorate over time.

Bearings.......might not last.

Top end......could be complete garbage.

No thanks.
But the plastics mostly fit and they're almost the same color. Not a problem for a Husky guy, but the Stihlheads...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy, from your prospective (building saws for pros around the world and standing behind your work) I agree with you 100%.

But if it is a local firewood cutter making a choice between a homeowner saw or a pro saw with some AM parts, I'll take the pro saw every time based on both performance and longevity.

I've had very good luck with both tank holders and coils, even in the hands of pros, and those two items alone can save you enough to turn a project from no to go.

I guess my point is that while I believe OEM is always best, there are situations when I'm glad that we have other choices. What is best for one situation is not always what is best for the next.

About a decade ago I had to pay $160 for an OEM tank holder for my 044 after the original was pinched and crushed by a tree. All the local dealers told me the saw was not worth fixing, so I learned to do the work myself. I'm glad there are currently less expensive alternatives for situations like that, as I was on the fence about doing it.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy, from your prospective (building saws for pros around the world and standing behind your work) I agree with you 100%.

But if it is a local firewood cutter making a choice between a homeowner saw or a pro saw with some AM parts, I'll take the pro saw ever time based on both performance and longevity.

I've had very good luck with both tank holders and coils, even in the hands of pros, and those two items alone can save you enough to turn a project from no to go.

I guess my point is that while I believe OEM is always best, there are situations when I'm glad that we have other choices. What is best for one situation is not always what is best for the next.

About a decade ago I had to pay $160 for an OEM tank holder for my 044 after the original was pinched and crushed by a tree. All the local dealers told me the saw was not worth fixing, so I learned to do the work myself. I'm glad there are currently less expensive alternatives for situations like that, as I was on the fence about doing it.

Well stated my friend.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuel tank.....might leak.

Handlebar.....weak as wet paper.

Rubber parts.....deteriorate over time.

Bearings.......might not last.

Top end......could be complete garbage.

No thanks.
I've had a couple OEM tanks leak. But I will agree the am rubber is crap.

JamesH71

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You might wanna hold off. As of today there have only been 31 of the 460 kits sold. So far one proud new owner has a kit that is decidedly unbuildable from the fact it has a 440 jug and other 440 bits. Another poster, we call Shrodinger's chainsaw, has a picture of a box claimed to hold a 460 kit. They say they've taken the jug out of the box and it's 53mm so all is right with the universe <except the chainsaw can't exist in two quantum states after the box is opened>.

I think I'll let somebody like Walt buy one. He can throw up a youtube video and then we'll all know if it's even a buildable kit, or a box of junk.