High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MS 391 piston kit options

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
5:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Looking for options for MS 391 piston kits. Priced OEM was about $100...holy xhit that's pricey.
I see HL offers the "golf" brand and have found no others...never been in a "golf" so any feedback would be great and or options as well...

Also anybody done one of these before ? Ive only rebuilt 2 and both have been a nightmare to remove the piston pin. had to buy the stihl tool and yet needed heat/lube/hammer and still the sob fought me...

thx

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put a golf in my 930 because the choices are very limited. It's not as nice as a meteor but with a set of cabers I see no reason not to trust it. That saw won't see a ton of run time though.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personal experience? I've never used one. I've heard some say nothing wrong, and others say never...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes Dan
I did a piston kit review for Chris a few years ago. Absolutely horrible.
I've seen a few no-name white box kits since then and if you look closely enough on the inside of the piston, you can see where they ground (or attempted to) off the GOLF logo.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As @T.Roller said I have installed several Golf brand pistons with good success. I honestly don't understand why they get so much hate, are they as nice as an OEM or a Meteor no but they are not inherently bad either. Any new part, regardless of the brand, needs to be closely inspected before installation. I took a brand new OEM Husqvarna 55 P&C out of the box and the plating was flaking. There are also several instances where OEM and Meteor are not an option, Husqvarna 242 and Jonsered 930 come to mind. In those cases you either use what you can get or you have a dead saw on your hands.