ms 362 porting tips?

timberjack90

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hi i have ported a few of 660 and 440 kit saws and made one 440/460 big bore hybrid kit saw. but i have the newer version 362 that i really like its just so slow,and id like to make it faster and more torque. anyways as you can see the stuff i have played with before is old tech, and this strato stuff is confusing to me. so what can i play with and move in the right directions?

thanks in advance

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just an advice, I see you are from Wisconsin. Talk to Tree Monkey and book his service. That man knows what he is doing. I would not mess with it, if you don`t really know what you are doing. This jug is to expensive to play try and error.

timberjack90

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i am confident in my ability to port it and to figure a "recipe" for it. I have had excellent results with the past saws, my last 660 will almost pull it self out of your hands if you get pinched, and the hybrid saw cuts just as good or better as a 395 is what a couple of my logger friends say. and i am always trying to learn something new, and for better or worse strato saws are here to stay. so ill have to learn them at some point anyway.

timberjack90

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
well i read alot of articles and forums and got more confused about it. then i sat down and studied the saw harder, and reread some of the 2 stroke tuner handbook. and realized that it is really just a intake port and times kinda similar its just fresh air. so my plan is to lower the exhaust trying to get to 101 ish, transfers 125 ish, and intake and stratos around 78 and see what limits my goals for that

timberjack90

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
well i got it done and throttle response in the cut is way up, and it holds rpm better also. ill try to make a video of it after a few tanks and ill try to compare it to somethin thats stock and in good shape

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
7:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good on you for doing it yourself.

After all the work involved, one realizes how much of a bargain it is to have one done by another, I think that’s what DND was trying to say. Especially guys like TreeMonkey who put a lot of R&D time into getting models to run well.

Pretty classic numbers for a quad port strato saw. They are basically an overgrown 261. Seems like the 261/362/441/462 are all pretty similar in their design.

timberjack90

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
curious question, i didnt have the nerve to do it, but on the 362 when it has the later opening strato butterfly instead of the carb, could you grind on the piston to give a more agressive intake timing through the stratos. so the normal intake could be like 75* and the stratos opening at like 85* which would be way to much normally?

but with the saw already running and higher than idle it could maybe handle it. it would be kind of like variable timing, intake for starting and lowspeed, stratos would be higher rpm, and you would only be out a piston if it didnt work. stock looks to be timed the same.

and i need to get my wife to help with the computer for the video.

yes it is well worth payin someone to do it, but my cylinder and rings are totaly wore out, some spots the plating was wore off, means a good time to play!

BILLt Saws

OPE Member
Local time
7:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey. If you don’t mind a prying mind wants to know. Did you achieve your timing goals? Base gasket or no? Timing or muffler modded as well? Bout to grind into one myself. Just doing research beforehand.
Did you achieve your goals on your timing numbers? About to grind into one myself and have been heavily researching beforehand. Base gasket or no? And did you accompany the mod with timing or muffler mods?

timberjack90

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No base gasket, muffler opened and removed screen, 15 thou. Advanced. It popped up pretty good, wish I would have started with a healthier saw though, I think it would have gotten better results

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No base gasket, muffler opened and removed screen, 15 thou. Advanced. It popped up pretty good, wish I would have started with a healthier saw though, I think it would have gotten better results

Check your squish. You are probably close to a zero clearance now. The 362's are notoriously tight like the 026-260's.

Or run it how it is idgaf not my saw :afro:

Steven

timberjack90

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I I remember right I sanded the swish band but it is tight, I'm gonna tear the whole thing down this spring, it could use seals