MS 241 carnage and piston question

foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
9:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Little background; I purchased this saw for my business in April 2014 and it ran with a couple problems along the way till October 2016 at which point it failed in the middle of a job. I took a look at it that afternoon and diagnosed a failed flywheel bearing. There was flywheel coil contact but the saw was still running when shut down for the last time. Knowing the saw was toasty I ended up buying another 241 and putting this on the shelf.

Well I have some bench space and some time so I pulled the saw apart to see all the damage and put a parts list together.

When you look at the flywheel bearing you can see the retainer has disintegrated and ended up in the saw. If you look at the cylinder pic you can see something hit the lip and chipped/damaged plating in two spots.

Looks like that stuff got up in the skirt and scratched the piston and to a lesser extent the cylinder on the intake side.

fullsizeoutput_24c.jpeg iu4B8EzSQKyt8D%76s32sw.jpg

I went into the cylinder with some scotchbrite to expose the cylinder scratches a little better.

qlXtNgzvSGKD+ksVzyAq%w.jpg CB5Go1tSS%ipzkwGoCbGCw.jpg

They look light and don't seem to extend above the lower intake ports. So cylinder reuse looks ok.

Anyone know the cost of an OEM piston? I have seen the UK pounds price :(. I can check tomorrow on that price.

And AM pistons seem limited to Golf; the little red barn one looks to me to be a repackaged Golf. HLS has them for $14.99.

Seals, Bearings, Piston, Hand guard which is badly cracked, sprocket time to replace, all on the assumption the flywheel and coil will work as is.:eusa_whistle:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about a meteor?

foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn’t know meteor didn’t make one (yet).

Just rering and use that piston. Get some cabers for it. Measure the thickness you need and order them up. Make sure you check ring end clearance before final assembly.

That would be 42.5 X 1.2 per the IPL which matches 025/250 rings on the Caber list.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are very hard and stiff, creating more friction and drag, thus losing more HP to parasitic loss.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It just seems like I've seen some caber rings that were black

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Generally I try to use the fcast on single ring and regular on doubles, though double thin rings I'll go either way.
Nothing definitive, just seems like it would make sense...

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fcast more silver, 'regular' is more black.
Ok. The silver ones are more difficult to get on and off. Sometimes the sausage thumbs don't completely fit within the gap. I modified a pair of external snap ring pliers to assist

Last edited: