MS 200T relacement carb from Definitive Dave best one I have seen

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Failed intake boots can actually lean out the fuel mixture so fast that the whole top end has to be replaced. This happened to an MS 660 that I repaired just recently. The operator never dreamed it was happening. A $2 part fails and destroys a $100 top end. Is that an Achilles heel?

sgrizz

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks lone wolf on the new carb from DD. I have a low use 200t I bought new and I keep non ethanol gas in it but if it acts up I will get this carb from DD.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It seems the problems with the Zama C1Q started about the time Stihl had the bright idea to move production of same from Japan to China .As far as I know Stihl never publically admitted there was a problem but obviously there were problems .
I have mentioned before that I had sent a carb to Edie Anderson at Stihl USA in Va Beach for analization in their carb lab .Results were inconclusive .Edie sent me a brand new Zama which I never touched the jets and the little saw had never ran as good and it ran fine before that new carb .Had I bought a new carb from a dealer it would have set me back about 90 bucks .Kinda high IMO .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over the years failures of the 200T model has been long discussed but it all points to a lean run .Weather it can be blamed entirely on the carbs has been a bone of contention .It might be a bad boot which I've never seen or bad seals caused by worn main bearings which I had seen .It could be a combination of all three for all I know .
In a way it's kind of comical .With the popularity of the 200T there are so many after market options these days before too long I think a person could build an entire saw from components .
I've never used AM parts on a 200T so I can't comment on the quality of same .However if the AM carb in question works out it sounds like a viable option .

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What about intake boots guys? These AM ones arent workin out? Any yall have used besides the 40$ OEM ones?
Keith, I have found that many times if your 200t is eating boots then it needs new av mounts. Theses little terrors are used and abused wayyyyy beyond their intended designs and they take it...up to a point. Many kill switch wires go bad for the same reason. Bad suspension. Impulse lines go bad too many times because of age but also because there is crud jammed up under the handle. So in short, check your AV bushings.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What about intake boots guys? These AM ones arent workin out? Any yall have used besides the 40$ OEM ones?
Boots should be $30 and carb $75 or so from dealer. Take 10% off my prices and that's basically list price

performanceoutdoorequipment.com/collections/stihl-020t-and-200t-chainsaw-parts

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keith, I have found that many times if your 200t is eating boots then it needs new av mounts. Theses little terrors are used and abused wayyyyy beyond their intended designs and they take it...up to a point. Many kill switch wires go bad for the same reason. Bad suspension. Impulse lines go bad too many times because of age but also because there is crud jammed up under the handle. So in short, check your AV bushings.
Climbers or operators that pull too hard on the saw is what breaks the mounts then the boot mostly! I used to have a climber that would always pinch the saw and wiggle it out bending the hell out of the chain. Before I saw all this going on I used to wonder why the hell the chains were breaking all the time! Another climber would always drop the saw and let the chicken line catch it and the lanyard mounts were always breaking. Another climber was always bending bars. I could do this all day!

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thats nice to know LW... thanks for the thread and pix. i got one that I just rebuilt.... gonna test it...but it may need a carb. takes me a while to mess with the oem ones, might as well buy one of these i guess?
Well yes!

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Climbers or operators that pull too hard on the saw is what breaks the mounts then the boot mostly! I used to have a climber that would always pinch the saw and wiggle it out bending the hell out of the chain. Before I saw all this going on I used to wonder why the hell the chains were breaking all the time! Another climber would always drop the saw and let the chicken line catch it and the lanyard mounts were always breaking. Another climber was always bending bars. I could do this all day!
Climbers.....sheesh who needs em. :confused: