High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Mower blades 101

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
2:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Would you guys mind taking the time to educate me on mower blades. I see so many from normal, high lift, super high lift, low high lift, mulching,
And let's not forget gator blades like G, G3, G5, G6.
I like the thought of a gator blades. Are they actually better? Is there a such thing as a better blades or just blad x is better for this kind of grass.???

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would you guys mind taking the time to educate me on mower blades. I see so many from normal, high lift, super high lift, low high lift, mulching,
And let's not forget gator blades like G, G3, G5, G6.
I like the thought of a gator blades. Are they actually better? Is there a such thing as a better blades or just blad x is better for this kind of grass.???
Good question. I've often pondered this myself.o_O

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i don't care for Oregon blades if you want a great blade for the money rotary corporation copperhead blades is where it is at.
i use high lift blades but gator blades are good in leaves but not thick grass.
I was really hoping those oregon gator G6 blades would be the bomb. ( I can get then at a reasonable price through work) gravely has some high lifts I will try as well.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was really hoping those oregon gator G6 blades would be the bomb. ( I can get then at a reasonable price through work) gravely has some high lifts I will try as well.
the high lift blades are much better they throw the grass farther and disperse the clippings betters

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Years ago I was spending money trying all different types of blades. It depends on the type of grass you cut, what kind of ground speed you can travel, what height you cut at, what weather conditions are, and most important which one suites you. Reading owners manual, lookin at the suggested options helps.

To sum it up, its really hard to beat what the factory offers. I prefer the high lift blades for discharge and clean cut. Low lift are for sandy type conditions, super high lifts are more of a bagger type set up(they can suck some power and really use some fuel). Mulching blades only mulch with mulching kits. With saying that, I've never had a gator blade that made me say "wow" would you look at that, these things are awesome! In fact I didn't like them because they made the machine feel rougher when the blades were on. I could never get them to balance when sharpening. Never tried the g6's . This is just my experience.

I've owned Great Danes, Exmark, Dixie Chopper and Scags. Great Danes I used high lift(rotary blade name), Exmark found the factory high lift suited me, Dixie Chopper liked medium lift(read up on their x blades, 160 dollars for 6) and the Scags like what comes on it when I bought them(my two did not do as well on aftermarket). I side discharged the whole time. I do like the marbin coating for durability.

It really takes some time and testing to find the blades your machine performs the best with. You will likely find a set that does better in a heavy dew vs hot and dry or mowing once a week or 2 weeks. The regular high lifts worked the best for me. Hope this helps.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Years ago I was spending money trying all different types of blades. It depends on the type of grass you cut, what kind of ground speed you can travel, what height you cut at, what weather conditions are, and most important which one suites you. Reading owners manual, lookin at the suggested options helps.

To sum it up, its really hard to beat what the factory offers. I prefer the high lift blades for discharge and clean cut. Low lift are for sandy type conditions, super high lifts are more of a bagger type set up(they can suck some power and really use some fuel). Mulching blades only mulch with mulching kits. With saying that, I've never had a gator blade that made me say "wow" would you look at that, these things are awesome! In fact I didn't like them because they made the machine feel rougher when the blades were on. I could never get them to balance when sharpening. Never tried the g6's . This is just my experience.

I've owned Great Danes, Exmark, Dixie Chopper and Scags. Great Danes I used high lift(rotary blade name), Exmark found the factory high lift suited me, Dixie Chopper liked medium lift(read up on their x blades, 160 dollars for 6) and the Scags like what comes on it when I bought them(my two did not do as well on aftermarket). I side discharged the whole time. I do like the marbin coating for durability.

It really takes some time and testing to find the blades your machine performs the best with. You will likely find a set that does better in a heavy dew vs hot and dry or mowing once a week or 2 weeks. The regular high lifts worked the best for me. Hope this helps.
rotary brand blades are good blades for the money.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used the early G high lift blades and they worked well. I guess the later series are tougher in rough conditions(around the farm) but I broke an end off mine and never went back to them.

Homelite410

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just mowed with my snapper z1804 with gator blades. They seem to perform well and use less power and they seemed to tear thru the tall tuff grass that I have in places. My hi lift places seemed to pack so much more stuff under the deck especially in broadleaf weeds and water grass where the gators spit it right out. We will see how they wear as I only got 4 years out of the last hi lift blades.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just ordered a set of Oregon notched high lift blades (91-506) that people say are the best for my Hustler Super Z 60" XR7 deck. It's a Dixie Chopper design but as far as I can tell the same design is used on an Exmark. If I like them I'll spend the big money and get the 491-506 Fusion blades for durability.

I went from the standard high lifts on my Dixon to the G6 blades last year. They took a lot more power to turn, and clogged the deck up a lot more but they wouldn't leave stragglers like the stock ones did. That was a 3 blade 42" deck so the 15" blades I feel just can't create much lift.

Homelite410

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree that different styles of decks do better with different blades. Our old high school mowed with an old Massey and a flat deck mid mount mower and he would even mow in the rain! The school yard always looked good.

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I grabbed some oregon g6 gator blades to check out and have for leaves in the fall and early spring.
One was almost perfectly balanced, one was ok, and one was way off. Had to remove a fair amount on one side to get it balanced. I haven't put them on the mower yet so I have no feed back on actual usage.

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I put the G6 gator blades in the new HD. They seem to cut well. I would say the grass is coming out in smaller pieces but hard for me to tell for sure.

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good report as that is what the blades is advertised for. Did you have any build up in the deck after mowing?

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good report as that is what the blades is advertised for. Did you have any build up in the deck after mowing?
Nor yet but only mower about an acre. I will mow a bit more this afternoon

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I have put a fair amount of use on the g6 gator blades. They do seem to cause a bit more deck build up. I also grabbed a set of Oregon blades that are exmark high lift. I like those the mower stripes better and it sure does send the grass flying. The g6 does not strip very well but the grass clippings are noticeable smaller. I think I will be running the exmark high lift until this fall. It really is interesting how just a blad can change so much.]

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I mow 6-10 acres a week on the WMA I manage depending on what campgrounds I can get by not mowing. We have a front deck Kubota and front deck JD. Both do great with factory blades but cost some $$$$. I run G6 blades on both now and notice that the clippings are smaller and the blade speed and engine RPM seem to stay higher. Both machines are 3 cylinder diesels.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a set of G6 gator blades for my SCAG walk behind.
First thing I noticed was they were thicker, heavier and wider than my OEM SCAG blades. I can notice this when the deck fires up. But they do cut OK. The OEM blades cut a little better though.
I think my OEM blades were about 2.5 inches wide and the G6 gator blades are 3 inches wide.
I may try the G5's next time..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk