FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now for least reliable saw? A used one bought from a tree service... lol

Our pawn shops are full of 'em. When a tree service or landscaping guy needs some extra cash for the weekend they pawn a saw or weedeater, of course some never get paid out. I go to pawn shops looking for bargains, and I often see a guy walk in with a saw or weedeater while I'm there. Quite often, the employee will know him by name and just ask how much he wants on it and for how long without looking it over or trying to start it.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d mention my old 1-10. Dad bought it new in 1969 and gave it to me 10 yrs later. It cut all my firewood for 12 seasons and got benched by a 49SP.

Well, it sat under the bench for 22 or so years without being run until CAD kicked in here. A tank of fresh fuel and a few pulls got the noisy show going again.
e6b1a3791263398326ce307e2eac0b30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCulloch had some very well made machines for their day, ran a 3-10E(1967) that was my fathers until it was stolen in the late 90's. I did a major service to it in the 80's with new points and condenser as well as a carburetor rebuild. McCulloch 10-10's are some of the best cold starting saws ever. The Homelite XL 12 was another durable hard to kill saw. I'll even throw in the Poulan 306A as another all metal monster. Haven't seen one of these saw's that won't run with some fuel system repairs, some with original seals are still holding. Fella just yesterday that has a MS360, but all he could talk about was the XL12 he got from his father.
Sad that no American makers are left to make great saw's with standard threads! Lol

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine was a Shindaiwa 488. Got it for a screaming deal from some guy who had just dropped big coin on a 562 with a 28" light bar. It started on the second or third pull every time.

Of course I sold it to a buddy to help fund a ported 350/346. He waited a few months to run it and then it wouldn't start. :(. Turned out to be a bad kill switch. Love an easy fix.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This got me thinking of the 2 Pro-mac 610's my Dad bought new in the mid 70's. Those things always ran. Have not been fired up in probably 8 years now. Went out, poured some fresh mix in them and 4 pulls for 1 and 6 pulls on the other, and they were going. I forgot how boxy and unwieldly those old tanks were.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine was a Shindaiwa 488. Got it for a screaming deal from some guy who had just dropped big coin on a 562 with a 28" light bar. It started on the second or third pull every time.

Of course I sold it to a buddy to help fund a ported 350/346. He waited a few months to run it and then it wouldn't start. :(. Turned out to be a bad kill switch. Love an easy fix.

My wife once bought me a late model Poulan Pro 42cc for $10.00 from a yard sale. The woman selling it said it wouldn't run for more than a minute for her husband and he didn't want to mess with it anymore.. Came with the case and scrench, I don't think it had even been used enough to need a first sharpening. A new fuel cap (stuck vent), a bit of carb tune, and it was running great. My best friend now has it.

Nathan lassley

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most reliable saw I've ever had is a redmax gz400 /ryobi 10532, 1st year got an air leak.. I fixed it and it ran about 9 more years until it finally finished off the scored piston it was running on. That saw cut everything and was abused making cuts when a much larger saw was needed.

Last edited:

Steve Taylor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl 460 is the most reliable saw that I have owned. 9 years now with out being touched, also the only new one I have kept and liked. Might have something to do with it. The rest were basket cases

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Longest running is a poulan top handle (maybe xxv) circa 1978. That little thing cut ALOT of firewood and felled alot of trees.

Something about small saws from that era, they were very rugged and capable. My grandfather had the Craftsman version and used it really hard for years. There are still some big tree stumps out there that he cut with it, from trees that would have given my Dolmar 5105 a good workout.