Most dependable Saw you've ever owned?

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would have had to been my 10mm 044 (2nd owner). Owned it for 10 years before I ever thought of modding the muffler- which brought me to AS. I sold that saw and have regretted it ever since. Ive had several 044s since then 10s and 12s, but they haven't meant the same to me. I learned a lot with that saw. Of my current saws- the one I have had the longest is my ported 288xp lite. It is my favorite, and I use it even when it's overkill. I will not make the same mistake with it, that I did with my ol 44.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
5:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Echo 330T purchased new in 2002.

The little saw that won't die. Still has original spark plug. Has cut 50+ cords of wood, before I knew about my CAD.

Still hanging in my shed and still starts right up.

Brian Simonseth

CANCER AND STROKES SUCKS
Local time
2:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
This little sucker

IMAG0084_zps2efeb494.jpg

1971 (?)

My Aunt bought it brand new for my Uncle and now it's mine new spark plugs and new air filter and new bar is the only thing I repaired on it when my Uncle owner it but since I've had it I replaced AV mount in the handle because it was cracked and the button that held the throttle on I dropped it and the black button broke off but it runs like a dream and the cylinder looks good :)

Grute

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Stihl 044 slant fin. Used the same saw (already well used when I got it) for 5 years on a hotshot crew. cutting at least 8 hrs every day for 6 months each year in hot, filthy conditions. Ran on questionable quality and octane gas all the time, tumbled down scree slopes on various occasions not to mention Plummeting from an un known height in a helicopter sling load. New bar and handle and she was back in business! Loved that saw! Oh, Katrina, where are you now?

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
4:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Olympyk 251B bought in early 80's. Other than running over it and having to replace handle and weld clutch cover have had no problems. Rebuilt carb once

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
3:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The longest I've ever owned a saw was 8 years and it was a stihl 390. I never had a mechanical problem with that saw. My cousin and I sold a lot of firewood using that saw. Well maybe not a lot compared to some on this site. I've since sold that saw and haven't owned my current saws more than three years. This post isn't meant to be this brand vs that brand. Only your personal experience with a certain model that has always been "Mr. Reliable". I would like to hear from both professional and home owners experiences.

1A) My MS390, bought new in around 2002, right at the change over from the 039, so my 390 is sans compression release. It took a trip to Cottle Lane in 08/2011.
The only thing I've replaced on it is a few guide bars, and one fuel line.

1B) My ported Dolmar 5105 set up with 3/8, and a 16" bar, and 60dl of square ground chain.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad and I used these saws 30+ years ago, we cut firewood in the summer & fall, then locust fence posts all winter long. We logged the fence posts out with an 8N ford. Each one runs to this day.
View attachment 8153 View attachment 8154 View attachment 8166
Nice!
Here's some saw trivia for everyone. From 1949 to 1965 Andreas Stihl manufactured light farm tractors.
Legend goes Andreas Stihl loved the Ford 8N tractor so much that rather then infringe on Fords tractor colors he applied them to his chainsaws.
Like Paul Harvey would say
"Now you know the rest of the story":hello:

Last edited: