Most dependable Saw you've ever owned?

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Stihl O28. I purchased this saw new back in 1985. It had been under water, and cut 100's of cords of wood. I went through many bars, chains and clutch rims.It never gave me any mechanical problems.When I left Texas, I donated it to the city of "Coleman Fire Department" It was in perfect working order.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One that stands out is a blue xl12 my neighbor gave me he bought it new in the 60s or early 70s never missed a beat after fuel line and carb kit still running but really I've never had a unreliable saw just normal maintenance is all I've ever had to do .

Local time
1:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
660, i have one that i bought new in 2006. It has been used for everything, been thrown to the side several times but keeps coming back out. Never opened it up just replaced a chain adjuster or 2. I have a few 660 but that one always stands out.

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1992 036 Replaced fuel hose and filter only because of age. Also upgraded to the larger drum and bearing, although the original was still ok. Never did anything else to it besides a few rims. Even the zama carb never been off the saw.

radio

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well heck you can make it just like new again.

That is what I hope to do! I've never rebuilt a saw but it would be a fun project. I am searching now for a replacement piston/cylinder. Plan on rebuilding carb, replacing intake boot, impulse boot, fuel line, oiler and maybe crank seals. Will probably do a minor muffler mod as well.

Any idea where I can get good quality but not overly expensive 55 head? Close ported might be nice since after going through the whole rebuild it would nice to have the max power possible.

EDIT: Ok, nevermind. I just found out a new Husqvarna 55 head kit is $107 so I will probably just go with that. Sorry to be off-topic.

Last edited: