High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Most Dependable Big Saw (90cc-94cc)?

Which of these saws are the most dependable?

• Total voters

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I’d take the outboard clutch for stumping. Less potential heat in the cases and bearing. 395 has a side chain tensioner. Takes a little longer to mount bar and chain with outboard, but not that bad.

Mason. When did they move the adjuster to the side. Mine is a front fugger. 385/90 Is a fav for me but that has a side adjuster and inny clutch.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think you could go wrong with any of the above mentioned saws they all have there strong and weak points. 066/660 bearing and crank problems, 394/395 ignition module problems and the screws fall out. Take your pick. I run 066/660 everyday cuttin timber at work. They hold up well. I have run some 394's and like them as well just don't feel as comfortable in my hands. That being said I am working on putting together a ps9000 to see what a dolmar can do.

earlthegoat2

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Front tensioners and outboard clutches work just fine and are reliable. The chain brake in the clutch cover is what has given me the most aggravation with Huskys. As far as reliability goes, the 395 I have used, as well as the 660s and 661 have all started, ran, and oiled equally well. That is much the only criteria I use for dependability.

If you maintain your saw the way you should, dependability will follow suit. Inherent problems throughout the history of the saw can be a big part of the criteria as well.

Crank and bearing issues on the 660, I have heard of but never experienced. Seal failures on 385/390s are talked about so often I fear it may be quite an overblown topic. I have experienced screws coming loose on a 395 so I guess some blue loctite should be in your kit.

No big saw of mine has ever had catostrophic failure. Really, only loggers with huge numbers of hours on big saws could really answer this question.

I work on a lot of saws but I also work in a Stihl dominated area so by that criteria the Stihl choices are no good because I have seen more problems with them than any other....

I think the answer to your specific question is probably somewhere between “all of the above” and “Stihl or Husqvarna”.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OP asked “Most Dependable”

As in, which saw never fails you. I can’t argue that a 394/5 isn’t an overbuilt animal. I’ve got maybe 8 of the o66/660 model line right now.

I wanted a dedicated milling saw, so I got me a 395. Oils better, cools better, etc...

But in terms of what starts every time, doesn’t lose fasteners, don’t get stuck not being able to take a clutch off to change a sprocket, throttle cable or pulley doesn’t fail, I’d take the lowly 066 every time.

I’d venture to say that, beside the 2 series Husky’s, Stihl are built with 25% less parts. Lass parts, less to break.

066, it may not oil or sustain a tree crush like others, but it’s a tough sumnabeech.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I voted 660 because my opinion it performs better than my 066, but the 660 is muffler Modded. The 395 is new to me, I guess I should have voted that. Easier to work on and few cuts were great. Just going with what I got.
Nothing wrong with an honest, experience based position..but that position may change with a little more time hanging on to that new 395! :D

But I have one question aside from this reply.... Why only three votes for the good ol Tree-90-Feckin-Fo!!??? Haha!

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing wrong with an honest, experience based position..but that position may change with a little more time hanging on to that new 395! :D

But I have one question aside from this reply.... Why only three votes for the good ol Tree-90-Feckin-Fo!!??? Haha!

Parts availability would be my guess. Lots of stuff interchanges with 395, but the 394 stuff is getting rare as hens teeth.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OP asked “Most Dependable”

As in, which saw never fails you. I can’t argue that a 394/5 isn’t an overbuilt animal. I’ve got maybe 8 of the o66/660 model line right now.

I wanted a dedicated milling saw, so I got me a 395. Oils better, cools better, etc...

But in terms of what starts every time, doesn’t lose fasteners, don’t get stuck not being able to take a clutch off to change a sprocket, throttle cable or pulley doesn’t fail, I’d take the lowly 066 every time.

I’d venture to say that, beside the 2 series Husky’s, Stihl are built with 25% less parts. Lass parts, less to break.

066, it may not oil or sustain a tree crush like others, but it’s a tough sumnabeech.
Off the top of my head there's 1 more piece on a 395 than 660 to the air filter from jug.

If I had to take a big saw into the jungle to build my own cabin with only a big fuel tank and a case of files it would be a 395.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most over desgned saw made is the 395, not even close, lots of 066 crank failures, spun bearings in the cases. That said 288 has the same bearings and crank as the 395 and is much lighter. 288 FTW

I'm no 90cc saw expert but that's the way I saw it.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a shame guys that have real input on these big saws and some real world info on them don't join to really share what's what and not what they heard....

Precisely. I can’t vote because I’ve only owned a 394 in that range, Hence how can I say it’s more reliable. I’ve not owned any others to compare it to.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a shame guys that have real input on these big saws and some real world info on them don't join to really share what's what and not what they heard....
066/660 Will not oil a bar longer than a 32"/105dl in my local hardwoods. Even that is pushing it if the wood is real dry. 394/5 Will oil a 41/2" bar.

The main issues I have with a Husky are the clutch is a bit small and coil life. The clutches are marginal for the torque they make. Once an operator knows that though it's easy to keep up with. Keep the chains sharp and its a mute point. The coils also heat up or something and have a shorter life span than I'd like on average. I keep a coil in my box.

I like the clutch cover chain brake. Easier to keep the PTO side of the saw cleaned off with just compressed air. 660 packs all around the oil pump and brake area and is a pain to clean for maintenace.

The side tension is nice on a stihl but I think the front tension is more robust. With a long bar stumping saw that's important.

Husky air filters go on and on...Stihl you tap out every few tanks. AM filters help that... but by design it clogs easier in stock configuration.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
066/660 Will not oil a bar longer than a 32"/105dl in my local hardwoods. Even that is pushing it if the wood is real dry. 394/5 Will oil a 41/2" bar.

The main issues I have with a Husky are the clutch is a bit small and coil life. The clutches are marginal for the torque they make. Once an operator knows that though it's easy to keep up with. Keep the chains sharp and its a mute point. The coils also heat up or something and have a shorter life span than I'd like on average. I keep a coil in my box.

I like the clutch cover chain brake. Easier to keep the PTO side of the saw cleaned off with just compressed air. 660 packs all around the oil pump and brake area and is a pain to clean for maintenace.

The side tension is nice on a stihl but I think the front tension is more robust. With a long bar stumping saw that's important.

Husky air filters go on and on...Stihl you tap out every few tanks. AM filters help that... but by design it clogs easier in stock configuration.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm with ya on all accounts.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Precisely. I can’t vote because I’ve only owned a 394 in that range, Hence how can I say it’s more reliable. I’ve not owned any others to compare it to.

I've had em'...but didn't run them anywhere near long enough to have a REAL opinion.