High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Most Dependable Big Saw (90cc-94cc)?

Which of these saws are the most dependable?

• Total voters

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
12:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The am kit saws are more of a hobbyist fun thing in my eyes. Not a production saw for a logger imho. Some am parts are ok, but most are a crapshoot honestly speaking from my own experiences.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True, but I don't have the time, patience, or $1,000 - 1,500, laying around to hunt down NOS 064 parts......

Easier just to walk in a dealer and get a new 461, and be done.

View attachment 139671

You and your logic is too much.

I just feel like saw companies have gone backwards, I mean they had a 85cc saw at just over 14lbs with a carb, that was a winning combo, now you can't get close to that, same as the husky 288, that was a great saw then they decided to add more moving parts and make a less reliable saw then they had to start with, just don't make sense to me. JMO
Alot of things are like that these days.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’re not trying to badmouth your kit saws Mike, they work for your intended use and you have the time to play around with them. Loggers and tree service don’t usually make the time to play around with them. Time is definitely money to them. Maybe as a backup saw it would be ok, but a primary saw I wouldn’t use it for personally.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’re not trying to badmouth your kit saws Mike, they work for your intended use and you have the time to play around with them. Loggers and tree service don’t usually make the time to play around with them. Time is definitely money to them. Maybe as a backup saw it would be ok, but a primary saw I wouldn’t use it for personally.
I mirror this opinion

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not trying to badmouth Jeff’s 660 either, it’s actually one of the more impressive ones I have ran. It’s fast. I just like my 395 better personally. He likes his stihl. I can respect that. Our shootout was just for fun. If it was serious we would have ran the same chain on all.

Last edited:

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
giphy.gif

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the record, I NEVER said the AM saws were as reliable as OEM. They are not. My statement was, if you learn the proper fixes, they can be pretty darn reliable.

But let's put this in perspective, I recently put a OEM 044 P+C, chain adjuster and carb on a Asian 440. I'll bet that saw is just as reliable as a lot of OEM saws, and would never be running w/o the AM parts.

I also recently brought 3 460s back to life. All needed Tank Handles and many other parts. If I had to go all OEM, all 3 would still be collecting dust on the shelf.

Yes, I spend a lot more time getting the AM stuff to work right. Especially carbs, chain adjusters, and control levers. I also ALWAYS replace the rope and handle on recoils, and always use OEM piston pin clips and bearings.

I wish I had kept one of my Asian Twins, but they were both built for other people. When I contemplated not selling Twin #2, the guy stuck cash in my hand and pulled the saw out of my hand, and has since told me how well it pulls a 36" bar. Yea, the fast idle does not work quite right, but if you know that, you can deal with it. Otherwise, that saw is good.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@MustangMike I'd like to see what a pho 044 hybrid looks like on a digital scale. Care to indulge me my selfish wonton desires?

I will try to get to that, but been busy. Generally, and empty 044/440 12 mm powerhead is 14 lbs, a 460 14.75. I'm sure the 460 P+C add a little, but very little, so I'm sure they are at least 1/2 lb lighter.

If that makes a difference to you will depend on you, and what you do with the saw. For example, I have to take down a good size Tulip, that has a slight lean, and is next to a broken down stone wall, and has some rot on the bottom (where it split from the other half). I will be happy to have a saw that is as light as possible and allows me to reach as high as I can and get the cut angles I want.

They can also be nice when working on a wood pile, light weight and the reach of the 28" bar is nice, but when cutting some I prefer the 20" bar to reduce collateral damage.