Morel Mushrooms

Greenthorn

Least Informed OPE Member
Local time
4:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome sh-rooms there @Coltont, unfortunately I won't have the whites and yellows here this year. I believe they were growing and starting right when we had this fuqued up freeze spell, 3 days of 24 degrees and it killed them, oohh well... there's always next year! I have a couple years of frozen blacks now stored, from this years find, still a very great year for me..although I wish I could have some big yellows like you guys get. I got about 3 lbs of whites and that was plenty. But I am going again tomorrow, just fer the hell of it...but I think they are done here.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You ever dehydrate them? Once you do that you'll never freeze another one.
Awesome sh-rooms there @Coltont, unfortunately I won't have the whites and yellows here this year. I believe they were growing and starting right when we had this fuqued up freeze spell, 3 days of 24 degrees and it killed them, oohh well... there's always next year! I have a couple years of frozen blacks now stored, from this years find, still a very great year for me..although I wish I could have some big yellows like you guys get. I got about 3 lbs of whites and that was plenty. But I am going again tomorrow, just fer the hell of it...but I think they are done here.

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ramps morels and bacon grease
2ffc68765bfbc3e617805d6eaaf526fb.jpg

You ever dehydrate them? Once you do that you'll never freeze another one.
Oh yes sir, I only freeze black ones, If I have an excess of yellows or whites I always dehydrate them and store the in mason jar's, do you get the black shrooms there?

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The blacks do not take well, for dehydrating for me, may be the way I am doing it or... may be black morels specific(?), IDK for sure.
Every time, which has been many.....they come out soggy and chewy, so, I make them into a gravy. If you wanna discuss the yellows and whites, I find dehydrating, they are just like fresh or "brand new" when I re-hydrate them. I usually just hang them from a thread string for 3 or 4 days on my back porch then put them in a mason jar, to re-hydrate I just throw them in a bowl of water for about 2 minutes and stir them around. The only reason I freeze any morels, is if they are blacks, no other.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
3:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Cool! These are all naturals. Anyone go on any long distance trips and chase fire morels the following year after the fires?
That is a good time. It's a good crowd. Basically all anti government. It's strange because the mushroom & fruit industry is tax free, even for the buyer's/ exporters in BC. It brings a lot of foreign money in. 3-4 hundred million in morels alone from Europe.
They got it figured out. They chase mushrooms in BC and the Yukon and they can still make $200 a day picking cherries
In south East BC's Okanagan. Then they go to a certain West coast state and clip outdoor bud. Then many go to south American and live like Kings and Queen until the next year or head back up and pick chanterelles and then Pine mushrooms first. Last two years were the most land burnt by fires in BC on record
You can go way into July. It is just starting.
I have a good falling partner and friend that buys. He is a BC Supervisors/Faller and firstly a Forestry Engineer is his background. Fires are public information and he is a master at getting the details. His maps are very well know and sold on all main 'fires' an advertisement as his.
Great times at Zoo

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool! These are all naturals. Anyone go on any long distance trips and chase fire morels the following year after the fires?
That is a good time. It's a good crowd. Basically all anti government. It's strange because the mushroom & fruit industry is tax free, even for the buyer's/ exporters in BC. It brings a lot of foreign money in. 3-4 hundred million in morels alone from Europe.
They got it figured out. They chase mushrooms in BC and the Yukon and they can still make $200 a day picking cherries
In south East BC's Okanagan. Then they go to a certain West coast state and clip outdoor bud. Then many go to south American and live like Kings and Queen until the next year or head back up and pick chanterelles and then Pine mushrooms first. Last two years were the most land burnt by fires in BC on record
I have a good falling partner and friend that buys. He is a BC Supervisors/Faller and firstly a Forestry Engineer is his background. Fires are public information and he is a master at getting the details. His maps are very well know and sold on all main 'fires' an advertisement as his.
Great times at Zoo
We dont have wildfires here on the east coast like you guys get. Never got the opportunity to hunt them anywhere but natural woods mostly. The ones that grow in the burnt areas, are they black morels? Pointy and the darkest colored of all the morels.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great times at Zoo

I have a slacker friend that tried this fire chasing once . He went to Wyoming one year and was pushed out by locals and was warned of a Mongolian mob group of hunters that were to be avoided.

Then the next year the good ol government closed off alot of areas after burns to hunters after reports of trash being left behind and fighting. The funniest part was Matt made it on to an NPR interview complaining about driving all that way and being shut out.

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We dont have wildfires here on the east coast like you guys get. Never got the opportunity to hunt them anywhere but natural woods mostly. The ones that grow in the burnt areas, are they black morels? Pointy and the darkest colored of all the morels.
Right. I understand you don't have the wildfires in the hardwoods stands so much. It did look like some older burnt wood in at a least one of you pics. The first time I picked, I had no experience and ended up in I much older burn from 4-5 years earlier and found some big blondes (as we call them) looks like what you have. I didn't know what a 'Yellow' was? I assumed a white and a yellow were all the same as blondes? I looked on line and they say yellows are found more in hardwoods.
In northern BC and Alberta, the bush changes so fast back and forth so you get everything in the fires. Assuming we just call white and yellow, blondes. They said a grey is smaller but could grow up to be a yellow?? The two they showed together; the grey was tight like a grey but really light coloured. A lot of non factual stuff on the internet so it is hart to cross reference exactly. I think a true grey grows tight and are generally small but dense. They are generally very dark grey and they flush after the 'greens'.
---------
I am looking at the pictures and some get confusing but the first flush are what we call conicas and the final shush are blacks. Conica is close to its Latin name.
The word conical ni math would mean cone shape. As you say some get pointy. " Witch hats" as you see near the end of the flush with a wide stock. Most undesirable.
Lots of nice looking conicas in season. You may get a three week conica flush. and then you get the 'greens' is what they call then commercially in BC. Hard to explain the difference as they both have the green colour and both can be big. The 'greens' don't get pointy or grow like Christmas trees. They are tighter and denser and can also grow in bumper crops (carpet crops) like the conicas. Then the blondes will start showing up as some greys. When the 'greens' are done and It's slim picking again then you could have a huge flush of greys and then blacks. They come out in the hot burn areas known as 'the black' . Smoking hot weather in July but they are the most tight and dense are the greys and the 'blacks'.
It gets serious. I had a P/U truck so my buyer buddy hooked me up to go chase another pick about 8 h drive away. His buddy had a big military vehicle fully camperized with a deflated zodiac in the back copartment and was towing an aeroplane with detachable wings in a caned trailer. I can get to some good stories.
That guy had a nose.
.I will come back with some good stories.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right. I understand you don't have the wildfires in the hardwoods stands so much. It did look like some older burnt wood in at a least one of you pics. The first time I picked, I had no experience and ended up in I much older burn from 4-5 years earlier and found some big blondes (as we call them) looks like what you have. I didn't know what a 'Yellow' was? I assumed a white and a yellow were all the same as blondes? I looked on line and they say yellows are found more in hardwoods.
In northern BC and Alberta, the bush changes so fast back and forth so you get everything in the fires. Assuming we just call white and yellow, blondes. They said a grey is smaller but could grow up to be a yellow?? The two they showed together; the grey was tight like a grey but really light coloured. A lot of non factual stuff on the internet so it is hart to cross reference exactly. I think a true grey grows tight and are generally small but dense. They are generally very dark grey and they flush after the 'greens'.
---------
I am looking at the pictures and some get confusing but the first flush are what we call conicas and the final shush are blacks. Conica is close to its Latin name.
The word conical ni math would mean cone shape. As you say some get pointy. " Witch hats" as you see near the end of the flush with a wide stock. Most undesirable.
Lots of nice looking conicas in season. You may get a three week conica flush. and then you get the 'greens' is what they call then commercially in BC. Hard to explain the difference as they both have the green colour and both can be big. The 'greens' don't get pointy or grow like Christmas trees. They are tighter and denser and can also grow in bumper crops (carpet crops) like the conicas. Then the blondes will start showing up as some greys. When the 'greens' are done and It's slim picking again then you could have a huge flush of greys and then blacks. They come out in the hot burn areas known as 'the black' . Smoking hot weather in July but they are the most tight and dense are the greys and the 'blacks'.
It gets serious. I had a P/U truck so my buyer buddy hooked me up to go chase another pick about 8 h drive away. His buddy had a big military vehicle fully camperized with a deflated zodiac in the back copartment and was towing an aeroplane with detachable wings in a caned trailer. I can get to some good stories.
That guy had a nose.
.I will come back with some good stories.
I'll give you a better response after bit. Holy chit that's like a chapter book what you posted!!!

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll give you a better response after bit. Holy chit that's like a chapter book what you posted!!!
Haha. Yes chapter 1. You should hear some stories out of 'in the Carmacks' Yukon.
You only get off your knees to pee. Cut all day. That ground produces.

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a slacker friend that tried this fire chasing once . He went to Wyoming one year and was pushed out by locals and was warned of a Mongolian mob group of hunters that were to be avoided.

Then the next year the good ol government closed off alot of areas after burns to hunters after reports of trash being left behind and fighting. The funniest part was Matt made it on to an NPR interview complaining about driving all that way and being shut out.
Haha. That's power of the media.
"the Mongolians" Well this is just it, you can do whatever you want in North American until someone complains.
It is the least populated state I guess people are territorial. They don't like people. That is why they are there. It goes on with the first nations on some fires.. Don't want Whitey picking in a certain area or they would trash you truck. Personally I never had to worry about that for long. Even if it's an hour drive away, My truck is parked in front of the natives camp that I have made friends with and they find out I have worked with many family members over the years. That is good enough for everyone. It helps to be a tramp sometimes. It does happen. That was a tough crowd. A guy I worked with from that band claimed to be from the city and told me that they wanted to build at cop shop up their area in Fort ST James and he told me "we are not stupid so we took the work and then burnt it down"
You want to go 40 miles up a dirt road and build a cop shop in a native village then a guess that's what you get?
Another funny story with Rob in William's Lake at a bar. I guess has cousin got two times by a couple of bouncers outside. Once we figured it out then the doors were locked then Rob want's to get a few crowbars and rip the doors open. AAAAnnnd that's what we did. There was a huge gap between the doors and you see the bouncers didn't want to play . As he and another were smashing the bars between the doors then he said to me.. "They don't know who they are f—ing with... We ain't no f— en Williams Lake Indians,, we ain't no f—en Anaheim Lake Indians. 'Were' city Indians".

Haha...now that's a great line.

It's all good man.

Last edited:

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if the weather does what they say, we may start finding some up here next week, but soil still pretty cold.