Morel Mushrooms

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
2:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well elms thrive in limestone. Good low pH soil. That's one of the"tricks". It's really not that hard once you learn the cycle as they run.
Yup, I've been hunting em for years. My dad used to take me when I was young and I've done it most years since

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
bd75257cb879765487e0c6e6b3646e63.jpg
Had my daughter out tonight. Biggest one we got this evening.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
1:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
b4416e2492f56e468c6159ec7f5d3844.jpg
95374faf1ca5ffafbd0b0044c3bdac5b.jpg
First day I've picked this season.

View attachment 66646

Buddy that don't live too far from me.....

Guess I need to get my ass out in the woods

No offense, but I read an article about hunting these mushrooms. Here is an excerpt:

"The most important item, however, is your collection bag. Do not use paper or plastic bags, even though they're handy and inexpensive. These bags don't allow mushroom spores to return to their natural habitat. A mesh bag will keep your mushrooms fresh and let those thousands of spores fall back to the ground. The numbers of morels (where they've previously existed) have steadily dwindled over the past 30 years. Deforestation and pesticide use are partial culprits, but the biggest factor has been human beings removing the "seeds" from the woods in nonporous bags. So use mesh and tell other people why it's important."

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/guide-to-hunting-for-morel-mushrooms-zmaz02amzgoe

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No offense, but I read an article about hunting these mushrooms. Here is an excerpt:

"The most important item, however, is your collection bag. Do not use paper or plastic bags, even though they're handy and inexpensive. These bags don't allow mushroom spores to return to their natural habitat. A mesh bag will keep your mushrooms fresh and let those thousands of spores fall back to the ground. The numbers of morels (where they've previously existed) have steadily dwindled over the past 30 years. Deforestation and pesticide use are partial culprits, but the biggest factor has been human beings removing the "seeds" from the woods in nonporous bags. So use mesh and tell other people why it's important."

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/guide-to-hunting-for-morel-mushrooms-zmaz02amzgoe
Yep lots of people will claim you have to use mesh. I've picked mushrooms in the same tract of woods for 15 years using a bread bag. Use a mesh bag, fill if to the top with morels and tell me what happens.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep lots of people will claim you have to use mesh. I've picked mushrooms in the same tract of woods for 15 years using a bread bag. Use a mesh bag, fill if to the top with morels and tell me what happens.

Yup I know a guy that follows the season and has a back pack with little trays. Keeps them pretty for selling.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah a mesh bag beats them up. I believe its more important to cut them ground level.

Last edited:

Greenthorn

Least Informed OPE Member
Local time
7:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well, there are 2 schools of thought there, I personally believe the spores are released as soon as the mushroom comes up, don't know if that's true, the worst damage occurs when dumb asses just pull the mushroom out of the ground, and not pinch or pick them off. You pull the mycelium out of the ground, and they for sure won't grow back there!