Modifying a compression release

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had set up my 029 with a 390 jug with a compression release. To make it a simple 'pull and go', I added a 066 coil with the 4 degree retard on starting. Everything worked just great, until I put in the new pop-up piston. Now the compression release will close too early. I have now ruined two of the plastic pawls on the starter mechanism.

Has anyone ever modified a compression release?

I thought if I reduced the size of the vent holes on the release it might close at a higher compression. Anyone else have any ideas?

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had set up my 029 with a 390 jug with a compression release. To make it a simple 'pull and go', I added a 066 coil with the 4 degree retard on starting. Everything worked just great, until I put in the new pop-up piston. Now the compression release will close too early. I have now ruined two of the plastic pawls on the starter mechanism.

Has anyone ever modified a compression release?

I thought if I reduced the size of the vent holes on the release it might close at a higher compression. Anyone else have any ideas?
My 660 with a big bore kit and advanced timing had same prob. I drilled out the vent in the side of the decomp valve about a 32nd larger. Starts like a normal saw now

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Terry, are you sure that the coil didn’t advance timing too much?

I’m not familiar with the differences in the coils, but an oem starter mechanism shouldn’t break on a saw from the small comp increase the popup adds. And that’s with or without the sissy button being pressed (I’m older an like them too).

I bet it’s firing early. Perhaps the old 039 coil had built in starter retard and the 66 coil doesn’t?

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Naw, it worked fine before I put in the pop-up. The pop-up didn't add that much compression, but it was enough to trigger the de-comp after I put the piston in.

I may have a bit too much advance, I'll have to play with it (I have an adjustable coil). It is like the carburetion, I just keep fiddling with it until I don't think I can get it any better.

As far as the carburetion, I gave up on the HD and went back to the Zama twin jet. I tried the Zama after messing with the HD for a while - OOPS - I decided I wanted to just get on with cutting wood.

EDIT: The 066 coil had the 4 degrees of retard on starting. I put it on and noticed the difference. It is a good mod ($20 Chinese coil) to one of these saws - especially if you advance the timing.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This ain't useful to your problem but when I send some chain & stuffs your way I'll put in a couple of decomp plugs with washers should you need them. The dozen I bought are not really needed.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the message, I was going to start drilling out the de-comp tomorrow. I'll wait and try to get a feel for what is going to work with your de-comps.

Aussies don't need any Vegemite. I was wondering what to send the Aussie blokes that send a chain. Tim Tams, Minties, etc. are all so common over here. Maybe I can come up with something that is out of the box. I learned to love 'Nuoc Mam' over in 'Nam. Maybe I can send the Aussie blokes some fish sauce (fermented fish), but they can get that at the market. Hmmm, gonna have to think about this...

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You will need some letter & number drill bits in the tiny range.

I ended up at 1/16” on a MS880 I rebuilt.

Standard hole was too small for this 130# geezer. [emoji849]

zero_sum

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to try this on my 2260 I suspect. I pops every pull (pop up) & is hell on the recoil guts as a result. I was under the impression that the decomp was the same (same part #?) for all saws. Is this not the case?