GoBigBlue1984

Bluegrass Fart Knocker...
GoldMember
Local time
11:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok Fellas, I've bought several of these 475's here recently after seeing one from out west that a faller/saw builder named Tommy Fales built. I tried to learn as much as possible about that saw and it turns out JJ knew Tommy and shed a little light on that saw. Long story short, Tommy would fall timber with it during the week and race with it on the weekends. My conquest to build a bad ass 475 began there.

image.jpg

Here we go....

Same saw for the most part as a jonsered 2077. 52mm bore. Limited coil.Carb is a wj 28. Dual port w/ windowed piston. Below is a stock jug that a previous owner tried to hack up. But it displays the lowers/uppers well. Notice the lowers opened up to the case.......i understand that a number of jonsered models were like this.

IMG_3570.JPG

I had three options for a piston with this saw.

IMG_3514.JPG

The first being obviously a stock piston (left). Stock numbers were 103/124/78. With a base gasket it had .050 squish. Way too much for my liking, but maybe we'll use this piston.

Second, Stihl 064 piston (middle) I've heard these run well but the ring end locations steered me away. The plan here is to add finger ports and I'm not crazy about the idea of flipping the piston around so for this particular build an 064 piston never got much consideration. Not to mention the crown to wrist pin is a tad shorter. JJ mentioned to me that Tommy Fales hot rod 475 used a 272 piston (right). I was skeptical with the prospects of this piston. Due to the shorter skirts and subsequent intake duration and as Randy mentioned the possibility of free porting was very high. Crown to pin was well over 1mm taller so that was encouraging. Let's use the 272 piston, first let's make sure we don't free port.

IMG_3539.JPG

We're golden!

Had to cut a .025 popup on the 272 piston to set squish at .020 with a gasket. Now on to the degree wheel to find out how much exhaust port and uppers will have to come up. But also to find out just how much intake duration I now have .
Ended up at 106/127/85. Yikes!!!! 85?????? My good friend Joey who is much smarter and knows a whole hell of a lot more than I do about building saws has assured me that I'll be fine at 85. Onward we go.

I plan on putting a 24/28" bar on this saw so I figure 100/120/85 will serve me well. So i set out to grind .060 off the exhaust roof and raise the uppers roughly .060 as well............

Attachments

• IMG_3568.JPG
    IMG_3568.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 36

GoBigBlue1984

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_3569.JPG

I didn't widen the intake or exhaust due to the increase in area/time.
But after raising the ports I ended up pretty close to where I had hoped for at 100/121/85.

Far from complete but as Joey mentioned earlier "it's a good starting point"

I will say that Tommy Fales 475 had a two piece head. Something that I plan to try on the next 475. He also, according to JJ ran a bigger carb and undoubtedly I'd say he also used the unlimited coil. I'll play with the possibility of a larger carb on this one if I feel i can benefit from it.

Stay tuned for more, I'll post progress on this build as time permits. If I spend too much time on it a few guys on here will be peeved I'm not finishing work that I've promised them I would. :mad:

In the meantime, enjoy this video of Tommy's 475
Courtesy of @David Young

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice job Brett

Nice to see a different build. Tommy's saw had the stock coil you can hear it like a 7900 hammers the limiter.

The 272 swap seems like a good one. Is the con rod width the same?

GoBigBlue1984

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good ear David. I never picked up on that watching the vid.

GoBigBlue1984

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice job Brett

Nice to see a different build. Tommy's saw had the stock coil you can hear it like a 7900 hammers the limiter.

The 272 swap seems like a good one. Is the con rod width the same?
The rod width is the same David.

GoBigBlue1984

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_3571.JPG

The popup won't give me much of a compression boost at .025 but in the event I ever decide to swap pistons I can cut the base and be back in business. So for now the band remains unchanged. I'm curious to see how .060 from the exhaust roof changes compression even with the tighter squish.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man that guys trigger finger must be tired at the end if the day.

GoBigBlue1984

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went back in tonight and beveled port edges and did a little slicking. My grinding is not on the level as some of these guys on here, so please reserve judgement :cool:

IMG_3573.JPG

Intake I didn't do much at all. Notice the port shape though. Nice shape, so other than removing flash and a little scuffing with 240 grit I didn't change intake shape or widen one bit.

IMG_3575.JPG

I like to use this little booger in transfers especially but I'll use it in lots of places. 1/8" split rod, a cheap, easy homemade miniature flap wheel. I butt two pieces of sandpaper back to back and go to town.

image.jpg

IMG_3574.JPG

The next step is adding fingers. But first, it's reassembly time and if the weather is ok tomorrow I'll run it with the limited coil and the modded muffler. Need a baseline before I go any further. Nothing fancy on the muffler, essentially I more than doubled the outlet size. No 77cc saw should have but a measly 7/16" outlet.

GoBigBlue1984

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I Had a little time today and got the 475 back together. Wanted to see how it ran with just the work I've done.

This chain isn't the best, but rain was rolling in and I wanted to make some cuts pretty badly. No dogs yet.

1 1/4 high, 1 1/4 low. I'll play with the tune a little before tearing it back down.