Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
9:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice work sir.

Your numbers are slightly more aggressive than mine. 110,129,131 78Intake on the smallest transfer.

I took max off the base, and squish was a bit looser than I would have liked. But pushing 180 comp before broke in.

I knew the coil would hold it back, so I was shooting for a broadened powerband.

@Backtroller owns the 421, think he has quite a bit of time on it now for a good opinion. These dolmars definitely have "pull" for 40 ish cc. I just tried to add a bit more.

I really like the numbers in the making given the limitations of the saw, now an unlimited coil on the dolmar wold probably be on top by a good margin.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
8:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice work sir.

Your numbers are slightly more aggressive than mine. 110,129,131 78Intake on the smallest transfer.

I took max off the base, and squish was a bit looser than I would have liked. But pushing 180 comp before broke in.

I knew the coil would hold it back, so I was shooting for a broadened powerband.

@Backtroller owns the 421, think he has quite a bit of time on it now for a good opinion. These dolmars definitely have "pull" for 40 ish cc. I just tried to add a bit more.

I really like the numbers in the making given the limitations of the saw, now an unlimited coil on the dolmar wold probably be on top by a good margin.
First set of numbers I plugged in where close to yours. 110/130/76. Then same saw went 110/128/76 and it picked up. And well it went up from there. Seemed to really start waking up around the 107/125. :)

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My next step is timing. And run time. Then if the 105 saw is stronger. I'll take the makita 107 saw to 105/121/78 and see if we can get a party started. Lol. If the makita is stronger. I'll take the dolly to the 105/122/78. There getting close enough now it's hard to judge the little increases. Lol

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have zero complaints and no regrets having Red97 port the 421. The more I use it, the more I enjoy it. It starts awesome, idles nicely and is quicker to rev up. Like I had said before, it has a more useable Power band. It might be a little louder but it sounds "cooler." Like any car guy would know that "somethings been done to it." It just has that sound to it.

I love the 18" .325 Sugi bar. It's light and has a bit more reach. The 3/8lp and PS Stihl chain cut more smoothly. Pruning cuts are beautiful with it, but .325 is what I run the most. Never timed to cuts but they feel about the same to me. I'm no pro though.

The best thing about this saw is how much my dad loves it. He doesn't need a big saw and loves the weight and handling of the 421. He worked 37 years for the city in the highway dept so he's spent a lot of time with saws. Mostly larger old Homelites and Stihl 044 and 036. The AV on the 421 is very nice and he can cut all day and ot doesn't bother his wrist. He's surprised how well it cuts large wood. Me too.

Not sure how much time is currently on it. Surprisingly, the sugi bar still looks new though. He's big on cleaning it and he always has a sharp chain on it.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have zero complaints and no regrets having Red97 port the 421. The more I use it, the more I enjoy it. It starts awesome, idles nicely and is quicker to rev up. Like I had said before, it has a more useable Power band. It might be a little louder but it sounds "cooler." Like any car guy would know that "somethings been done to it." It just has that sound to it.

I love the 18" .325 Sugi bar. It's light and has a bit more reach. The 3/8lp and PS Stihl chain cut more smoothly. Pruning cuts are beautiful with it, but .325 is what I run the most. Never timed to cuts but they feel about the same to me. I'm no pro though.

The best thing about this saw is how much my dad loves it. He doesn't need a big saw and loves the weight and handling of the 421. He worked 37 years for the city in the highway dept so he's spent a lot of time with saws. Mostly larger old Homelites and Stihl 044 and 036. The AV on the 421 is very nice and he can cut all day and ot doesn't bother his wrist. He's surprised how well it cuts large wood. Me too.

Not sure how much time is currently on it. Surprisingly, the sugi bar still looks new though. He's big on cleaning it and he always has a sharp chain on it.
Ya the AV is one of the bigger deciding factors when I bought my Dolmars. They just work better.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Good write up my man. The makita is the saw I bought my dad. Lol.

Last edited:

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just tried to check compression but the 10mm adapter is not cooperating. With the standard fitting my newly assembled 036 with a new caber top ring was 170. With the 10mm it keeping leaking no matter how tight it seems.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
9:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the build thread Carl. We need more of these.

Would you consider staggering the uppers to 120 exhaust side/121/122?

I'm wondering how an assymetric opening would work. Seems that the factory does this a lot on quads.

Saw looks great. You made it a great cutter. The stock saw cutting was painful to watch.

I've been meaning to do this saw for awhile but time and so far no one has wanted a ported on. But that said here's my Guinea pigs.

Why you gadda say Guinea?

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the build thread Carl. We need more of these.

Would you consider staggering the uppers to 120 exhaust side/121/122?

I'm wondering how an assymetric opening would work. Seems that the factory does this a lot on quads.

Saw looks great. You made it a great cutter. The stock saw cutting was painful to watch.

Why you gadda say Guinea?
These where staggered factory. And I'm sure i will at this point in trying to find a set of base numbers.
Ok ok. These 2 saws are my test mules. Lol

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In this vid I just did 2 thing picked a bigger tree so ya could see how this saw that's not een broke in yet is still pulling very hard and 2nd. I switched the chain to stihl ps. Instead of the factory semi chisel.
Looks great! How do u like the PS chain Carl?

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a lot better than the Oregon semi chisel. At least in the oak. In the hedge I was cutting it made no difference. Lol.
Gotcha. I havent tried the Oregon but only the PS and PS3. I prefer the PS as long as the woods clean and I do my part and keep her out of the dirt

Fairways_and_Greens

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone ran their 421 against the MS241? How does the balance and antivibe compare between the two?