Mikes chainvises

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love this thing. I think I found every chain I had around and sharpened it even on the saws I don’t plan on using anytime soon
156a499c6577c8d61a8f03f2395929b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I put my chain in the vise like you....I find that it will smoothly pass through when run this way. I have seen a lot of pics of the chain going in the other direction (chain going in direction of the radius) but the links get hung up on the square end of the vise.

The thing is soooooo nice though, love how it holds the chain solid. I also got a Timberline sharpener but I'm having trouble getting it setup correctly. I keep hitting the cutter stops on the Timberline when I grind one side of the cutters.

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm certainly not negative by nature. Was anyone really asking what these vises are for?
Your comment towards Jeff wasn't contributing towards this thread in any way. I'm not going any farther with this either.

These are great vises, not sure if you have one but they are a great tool to have.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your comment towards Jeff wasn't contributing towards this thread in any way. I'm not going any farther with this either.

These are great vises, not sure if you have one but they are a great tool to have.

I certainly do, and I agree they're a fantastic tool.

Sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way. I was just giving Jeff a little crap. Hopefully it made him chuckle. That was my intent. I'm happy to be made fun of as well. These threads are all full of actual on-topic info as well as mindless banter. Where the line is for how much is too much is subject to interpretation. As I said, my apologies if you didn't like my comment. If Jeff's feelings are hurt, he's welcome to send me a PM and let me know. If I see an opportunity to get a laugh out of someone, I'm going to continue to do so though. It's fun for me.

Perhaps it was too serious in tone though. Let's try again.

The vise securely holds the chain to allow for more precise sharpening.

Huh, wait a minute Jeffus, I thought these were for holding sandwiches while working on saws. Am I using mine wrong?

:)

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I put my chain in the vise like you....I find that it will smoothly pass through when run this way. I have seen a lot of pics of the chain going in the other direction (chain going in direction of the radius) but the links get hung up on the square end of the vise.

The thing is soooooo nice though, love how it holds the chain solid. I also got a Timberline sharpener but I'm having trouble getting it setup correctly. I keep hitting the cutter stops on the Timberline when I grind one side of the cutters.

I sharpen the the right hand cutters with the chain in that direction, then turn the chain around to do the left side cutters.

It does take time to completely take the chain out of the vise and turn it around, but how else could you do it if you can't stand on the other side of the vise???

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sharpen the the right hand cutters with the chain in that direction, then turn the chain around to do the left side cutters. It does take time to completely take the chain out of the vise and turn it around, but how else could you do it if you can't stand on the other side of the vise???

Some vises rotate.
Some people might have the chain vise mounted on a board: take it out and reverse that in the vise.
Vise at the corner / end of a bench might have access on both sides.

Different strokes for different folks. As long as you find something that works for you.

Philbert

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Troof. Ive had mine for two weeks and I feel it’s paid for itself... night and day difference between sharpening on the bar and on the vice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sharpen the the right hand cutters with the chain in that direction, then turn the chain around to do the left side cutters.

It does take time to completely take the chain out of the vise and turn it around, but how else could you do it if you can't stand on the other side of the vise???
I'm able to stand directly over and behind the chain and can sharpen both sides doing it this way. My bench vise is on the corner of the bench and also swivels.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wanted to give a thumbs up to Mike, received my vise last week. Awesome Man!!:ARMS1:

Thanks Pete
Not sure if I said hi yet, but high from another michigander :).
I'm just east of Grand Rapids.
Congrats on the vise, it will be my next piece of sharpening equipment.