Mighty Purdy Maple

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Several yrs ago I went to a GTG in Michigan and seen a wild looking Maple tree along the driveway to the woodlot.
It had spikes on it about an inch or more in diameter and around 3-4" long, covered in bark all over the main trunk of the tree. Weirdest F'er I've ever seen.
We got to talking about burl wood at grub time and I told Charlie if he ever ran across some purdy stuff or if they ever took that Maple out to look in the stump for some figure.
About a yr or so later he got a hold of me and said a storm had taken out the top of that Maple. They cut it down and the whole log all but 6" of the center was burl wood.
He asked what I wanted from it and I gave him some dimensions. I probably wasn't real clear in all our bs'in as when he cut them they were just a bit too narrow. He sent me some pics and my god they were purdy. He said he would cut some a bit bigger and offered to send them all, even the smaller ones. I told him I didn't have any immediate use for the small ones and he should ebay them. ( I second guess that decision every time I look at those pics) The 2nd and larger ones weren't quite as gnarly as the 1st.
Here are a few pics of the 1st ones he cut,
01 22 06_6092 (Small).jpg
01 22 06_6094 (Small).jpg
01 22 06_6096 (Small).jpg
01 22 06_6097 (Small).jpg

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They spent a couple of yrs stickered in between two cement blocks drying and then I got busy with other things and it took several years to getting around to what I had wanted it for.
Last month I finally got to shaping them up and finishing them.

First coat of oil,
P1030015 (Small).JPG

The end product,

P1030023 (Small).JPG
P1030025 (Small).JPG

jockeydeuce

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's some beautiful wood! I hope nothing was wasted from that. It's amazing the board foot value from stuff like that for pen blanks alone among wood turners.

Hammered

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Wow! That is some nice treasure.